Lower Grille Molding Question

66Tiger289

Silver forum user
Can someone Please post pictures of the lower grille molding position and how it clipped on a Tiger MK1A ?

Thanks

Steve

steven

Gold forum user
The lower moulding came from a series 4 Alpine/ MK1 Tiger. The MK1A Tiger was based on the series V Alpine no lower finisher

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The lower moulding came from a series 4 Alpine/ MK1 Tiger. The MK1A Tiger was based on the series V Alpine no lower finisher

The sv and mkia still had the lower finisher. Its what conceals the black painted area of the area of the front valence in the grill.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
And so did the MkII.

Hey david, yes mkii was definitely blacked out in grill area.
I couldnt remember if it still used the lower finishing strip.. ?
The mkii grill (iirc) finished with the last part of the egg crate being a horizontal piece that covers the paint line eliminating the need for the finishing strip didnt it?

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
MK II Wider

The MK II came with a slightly wider finishing strip. I only know this from having to do a repair in 1968 . . . . .just sayin'

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The MK II came with a slightly wider finishing strip. I only know this from having to do a repair in 1968 . . . . .just sayin'

Randy you talking finishing strip or grill eyebrow? I know the mkii grill eyebrow is flatter and wider.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Lower Grill Finishing Strip on Mk IIs

Hey david, yes mkii was definitely blacked out in grill area.
I couldnt remember if it still used the lower finishing strip.. ?
The mkii grill (iirc) finished with the last part of the egg crate being a horizontal piece that covers the paint line eliminating the need for the finishing strip didnt it?

Michael, there is a lower grill finisher strip on the Mk IIs. It sits about 1/4" in front of the bottom slat of the egg crate grill. The lower finisher strip on Mk IIs covers up the dividing line between the black inside the grill opening and the body color on top of the front valence, just like the other Tigers.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Lower Grill Finisher Strip

Randy you talking finishing strip or grill eyebrow? I know the mkii grill eyebrow is flatter and wider.

Yes, the upper grill finisher strip on Mk IIs is unique and a lot wider than the same piece on Mk 1s and Mk 1As. I thought the lower finisher strip on Mk IIs is the same as what was used on Mk 1s and Mk 1As. I'll check the Sunbeam Parts Manual when I have access to it to see if my memory is still somewhat intact.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Michael, there is a lower grill finisher strip on the Mk IIs. It sits about 1/4" in front of the bottom slat of the egg crate grill. The lower finisher strip on Mk IIs covers up the dividing line between the black inside the grill opening and the body color on top of the front valence, just like the other Tigers.

You'd think rootes could have finished the blacking out at the line of the egg crate grill on a mkii.. But i guess as it tapers back at an angle it would require a different masking stencil to the alpine and earlier tiger where the bottom trim concealed it... Rootes production moto inefficient efficency :rolleyes:

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
YUP

YUP: I'm yakkin' about the lower strip in front of the bottom egg crate. It's definitely wider on the MK II's . We had three of them in our youthful crowd when they first arrived here. It was common to find 4 people riding in them in the pre-fast food drive thru days.

tigresunbeam

Forum Member
Lower grill

See attached picture of 2 MKII car 135 Unrestored ????

Gilles Capture2.JPG

Vandusen 2008 015.jpg

Warren

Gold forum user
Stainless?

Or polished aluminum? looks like the same size as a 64 Falcon trim ..

66Tiger289

Silver forum user
Guys this is all great info If I owned a MKII but My original question was for a MK1A. I see someone posted a pic of a MkII grill anyone got a picture of a MK1a lower Molding???

Steve

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Lower Finishing Strip on Mk II

Yes, the upper grill finisher strip on Mk IIs is unique and a lot wider than the same piece on Mk 1s and Mk 1As. I thought the lower finisher strip on Mk IIs is the same as what was used on Mk 1s and Mk 1As. I'll check the Sunbeam Parts Manual when I have access to it to see if my memory is still somewhat intact.

The Sunbeam Parts Manual for 260 & 289 Tigers seem to indicate that the lower finishing strip on Mk II Tigers was the same as that on the earlier Marks and Alpines. We all know that the upper finishing strip was different on the Mk IIs. Sunbeam did not publish a complete Tiger parts book, but published one that supplemented the Alpine parts manual. So if the part was the same as what was used on the Alpine, the part was NOT listed in the 260 & 289 Parts Supplement manual.

Attached is a screen shot of page XF1 of the Tiger supplement parts manual. You will note that there is no upper grill finishing strip listed for the Mk 1 or Mk 1A. The same is true for the pieces making up the Mk 1/Mk 1A grill bar and emblem. That is because those are the same as what was used on the Alpines. However, it does list a grill and finishing strip for the Mk II. Since it lists only one grill finishing strip and we know that the upper finishing strip on the Mk IIs is different, the conclusion can be drawn that the Mk II lower finishing strip is the same as what was used on the Alpines and earlier Tigers.

Attachments

• Mk. II Grill Finisher.jpg
    Mk. II Grill Finisher.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Warren

Gold forum user
Attached or detached

Got at least three or four in the spares pile. Also one on the car. Didn't I see that you asked the same question on SAOCA?

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Maximize Price

Warren,
When you decide to sell them, be sure to identify them as Mk II lower grill finishing strips - you will get more money for them! :p