E-Bay bumpers

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
A friend of mine just ordered a set of stainless bumpers from e-bay...
$US619 + $105 shipping to Canada ( $85 to U.S. ) ... includes over
riders and rubbers ...
Re-chroming around here is REALLY high$$ ( is it everywhere? )
Seems like an awesome deal.. I'll report on the quality when they get here...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUNBEAM-ALPINE-TIGER-brand-new-BUMPERS-SALE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f00b0804cQQitemZ270594506828QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Jim
B382000446

segrave

Gold forum user
Staff member
CAT Member
Re-chrome a bumper down the street from me in Hollywood is $375. Let us know how you like the stainless.

Steve

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
From wjat i have heard about the "harrington group" stainless bumpers made in vietnam and sold on ebay are meant to be very presentable, but i have also heard they are quite thin and would not offer the protection of the stock bumpers.. that said the stock ones wouldnt do much anyway..

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
e bay bumpers

these bumpers are not made to the same style as the originals. the part that turns down does not roll under as the originals do. they are actually squared off. original over riders will not fit. they are probably half the thickness of the originals and if any bending or twisting is required, forget it! the last set i saw were three pieces welded together,ground down and polished. they come with round holes drilled for the bolts instead of square and they supply the bolts which means,how do you tighten the bolts ? no way to hold them. i 've seen three sets and i would much rather spend the 450.00 per bumper to replate originals instead of buying these.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
these bumpers are not made to the same style as the originals. the part that turns down does not roll under as the originals do. they are actually squared off. original over riders will not fit. they are probably half the thickness of the originals and if any bending or twisting is required, forget it! the last set i saw were three pieces welded together,ground down and polished. they come with round holes drilled for the bolts instead of square and they supply the bolts which means,how do you tighten the bolts ? no way to hold them. i 've seen three sets and i would much rather spend the 450.00 per bumper to replate originals instead of buying these.

Now that they've arrived I'd have to say that your description is very accurate. The particular car that these were bought for is so far away from stock that the owner says they will be just fine. The finish is amazing.
I'm curious though... they are marked front and rear and one is slightly longer than the other... I was told long ago that the bumpers are identical and only the mounting brackets are different... What's the real story on that?

Jim

Wes Pitrman

New forum user
EBAY Bumpers

I remember buying a front bumper @ Coast Chrysler/Plymouth for $17. ha ha ha ha Wes in SoCal

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
After seeing a set of these up close I am with Bob W. Spend the money to find a nice original and rechrome. The repros have weird curves and shapes and other features that don't make it worth the $$$$. But that is my opinion....Eric

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
e bay bumpers

eric,
i was at doug's today and bob t reprofiled the over riders to make them set straight instead of turning down and they tweeked the bumpers a little. they spent a lot of time making them fit right. they look a lot different than they did the day we looked at them. the key words are lots of hours. i still would prefer originals.