my new Alger

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I was told the flares were made for a 68-72 Corvette, the reason I think they stick out at the lower rear is that the Vette body rolls under way more than our cars--but a little glass and resin and it will look much better. I realized there was a noise coming from the rear--sheesh, you find people in the craziest places...:)

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
If I were to make the flare even with the body like the fronts I am looking at 3" coming off---you haven't seen the "bad" angle. haha. In the 80's we used the "turbo" mirrors which looked a lot like yours, good looking mirror.

Oh, I think we've seen the bad angle. The really, really "bad" angle (bad=good of course).

I was guessing 1" so projection beyond tire face was about the same front and rear. 3" seams like tread would be exposed.

I like the looks of the alum. mirror and wouldn't look out of place . . . but if it was a 4X4 I think a couple of those babies would look good attached to the top of the roll bar as spot lights (just joking).

Any difficulty getting in or out with the frame cutting across the door opening? If you use the La Carra wheel as Warren suggests there might be a bigger problem getting your legs in. Any thought towards a "D" shaped wheel?

I like your style. Instead of a Tiger tail from the trunk, you're trailing a human. Or . . . A poor mans Cobra gets a poor man wheel chock.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I hate to show this angle but as you can see they really flare out at the rear.....at least 3" to make it even. It's easy to get in, helps with no carpet in the way and the small 70's steering wheel on a tilt column. I still need/want to get a better seat and move it back some since the firewall has been moved back. I like the one in Bill Martin's car, old Cobra style race seat.

5oefwy.jpg

Warren

Gold forum user
Itchy Trigger

Finger on the Sawzall but you'll probably get a better cut with a Makita with a nice smooth diamond blade, but then be itchy all over.

15 bucks for one of those Tyvek paper suits will be the best 15 bucks you'll spend when working with f/g, but be prepared to sweat like a horse.

You are going to have some fun....

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Thanks Warren--I was hoping to just put a fan out there pointed at the neighbors.. :) I planned on long sleeves and long pants for sure with a good respirator, love the smell of resin, mmmm.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I have had the front suspension apart 4 times now--finally got a good spring rate for my coil overs--whew. I felt like Goldilocks--600 was too firm, 300 was too soft and 440 was perfect. Now that it sits and rides better time to get my fiberglass materials out so I can start working on the flares.
I ran into a man today at Cars and Coffee that said he raced against this car in the 90's at club events at Sears Point, said it was very competitive. Good to hear.

2duyr77.jpg

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Bruce...

I did a little search on those 'Cross-Boss' setups from another thread... if you ever find you're looking for more power/bling ... may I suggest this...

BarrettJackson2009122.jpg

What a unique piece... and it might even fit under that cowl induction hood you've got... ;)

Jim
B382000446

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
That is one of the best looking carb set ups I have seen--only once at ALL the vintage races I attend have I seen one and that was back in the early 90's at a Shelby event. Thanks for posting--I wonder if anyone makes a fuel injected set up like that?

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
alger

these flares look like the ones that were on bill miller's tiger when peter bought it. they were BIG!

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
According to the original owner they were for a 68-72 Corvette. Either way I need to massage the rear flares, they look like I have air brakes from the back.

PITT40

Gold forum user
I'd rather call them Cobra side pipes. I think the Cobra had them before any Brand X, heavy, non-sports car, I believe anyway.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
If we are splitting hairs I think the Lister had them in the late 50's---but either way a set of fat black side pipes might look cool.
Have not looked at the car for awhile so I drove it last weekend--it's so crude it's fun. :)

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Well I am moving on--sold the Beater. I had way too many cars and not enough time or $$ to do them all the way I wanted to---feels good to have some breathing room here. Still have the yellow Tiger, it's a fun driver.....