Mecum Monterey

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Another Sunbeam at Mecum Monterey in a couple weeks... B382002394 https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/CA0...dster/4-Speed/

The car was a Best offer/BIN of $98950 sale on eBay a couple months ago but seller said the buyer hit the BIN button by 'mistake' and no sale happened :confused:

Are those Sisal floor mats ? :eek: :cool:

B9471991 is also at that auction https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/CA0815-219936/0/1965-Sunbeam-Tiger/5-Speed/ and I believe it's been at Mecum before not meeting reserve @ $80k

Corrected link ... https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/AN1114-204364/0/1965-Sunbeam-Tiger/5-Speed/

Last edited:

JB66CAT

Gold forum user
The black one (the other link turned up a 'not found') looks very nice! At least in the pics. I notice the sunbeam letters on the trunk were deleted (?) From the camera angle of the front the Dale's front end shows up real well. Will be interesting to see what it fetches.

67MKII

Gold forum user
CAT Member
For the B947 - 5 speed car

"Powder Coated Frame" - How the hell do you powder coat a Tiger frame???

John

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
For the B947 - 5 speed car

"Powder Coated Frame" - How the hell do you powder coat a Tiger frame???

John

John - I was wondering the same thing when I read the first listing for the car. I noticed that that wording was dropped in the "corrected" listing. Also, $30,000 in restoration costs seemed to have evaporated. Seems sloppy on someone's part.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
It now says 130k in receipts...wow. License plate says "burns rubber", should say "burns through money". haha. It is a beautiful car........

HIGHLIGHTS

- Comprehensive rotisserie restoration
- 302 CI high performance engine
- Tremec TKO 5-speed transmission
- Dale's Restorations complete front end
- Power assist steering
- Wilwood 4-wheel disc brakes
- Powder coated frame
- Over $130,000 in receipts

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Perhaps they meant "Powder coated seat frames"...
Just saying'...:p
-Kevin

John - I was wondering the same thing when I read the first listing for the car. I noticed that that wording was dropped in the "corrected" listing. Also, $30,000 in restoration costs seemed to have evaporated. Seems sloppy on someone's part.

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Powder coated

Hey, my Tiger has a powder coated frame! The powder in question is dust, however. Maybe that's what they meant. Just like "rust free" means "we're not charging you extra for the rust" and "never wrecked" means it hasn't been run through a wrecking yard crusher, all other road incidents it may have had are something less than a "wreck". I think the auction descriptions are like reading through "Duff Beer Goggles".
Bob K.
B9471705

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sales Description Imagination

Get asked (more often than we care) if we would ever take ole' #78 to auction. As a single owner toy, I guess it would bring interest. But; how would I honestly describe the decades of abuse and ultimate re-hab. It's a fresh sweetheart now, but it's virginity ain't ever gonna grow back. Perhaps I should pay attention to all this auction hype for future reference.:rolleyes:

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
One Tiger Sold by Mecum's at Monterey

Today one Tiger was sold by Mecum's at Monterey for $100,000 plus whatever premiums Mecum is charging. https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/CA0815-219786/0/1967-Sunbeam-Tiger-Roadster/4-Speed/

In case the link does not work (I had to sign in to see Results), it was lot F160 in today's (14 August) afternoon auction. VIN was B382002394LRXFE. Car was "upgraded" with a 289. To quote the listing:

This 1967 Tiger is noted as a Series 1A, and hosts an upgraded 289 CI V-8 engine linked to a 4-speed manual transmission. British Racing Green over black, the car has been authenticated by STA and features an LAT1 super induction kit, LAT8 Tiger valve covers, LAT70 forged wheels, LAT73 comp headers and a factory hardtop.

Photos showed an aluminum radiator and relocated oil filter, non-stock steering wheel, and Holley double-pumper carb. I did not think the LAT-1 included a double-pumper version.

Warren

Gold forum user
Coco Mats

Remember the mats and the Autometer tach with matched face by Paul B.
I have one on my car. Gives me hope with my new yet old MK1A

mwood

Gold forum user
Just a 5spd away from being a decent driver :D

Seriously...pretty car, strong price.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Interesting

Looks like the back one sold for the exact same price.

Strange - the green car is closer to being stock but the black car has more updates (302 vs 289, 5 spd vs 4 sp, 4 wheel discs and Dale's Front end on the black car), but they sold for the same????

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Strange - the green car is closer to being stock but the black car has more updates (302 vs 289, 5 spd vs 4 sp, 4 wheel discs and Dale's Front end on the black car), but they sold for the same????

I have a house guest that was at the auction at the time it was on the floor.
It was bid up to $120K and stalled and did not meet reserve. There maybe a deal in the works but it has NOT sold

Moondoggie

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Two Black Tigers?

I have a house guest that was at the auction at the time it was on the floor.
It was bid up to $120K and stalled and did not meet reserve. There maybe a deal in the works but it has NOT sold

Moondoggie

I wonder if there was another black Tiger at Mecum. Here is the link that goes to the page that has a "Sold for $100,000" on the listing - https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/CA0815-219936/0/1965-Sunbeam-Tiger/5-Speed/

I had to sign in to see the results. In case the link does not work for others, here is a Snip of the screen. Maybe it was sold after the auction for the $100K. and Mecum is taking the credit?

mwood

Gold forum user
I saw the black 302/5spd Tiger at Mecum on TV last night. Bid to $110,000 (under reserve) and driven off the stage..."The bid goes on..." Maybe the car was sold at $100,000/no commission for Mecum? Anyone know if the car was being sold by a dealer?

Tigers did not approach the levels of the 2014 Monterey auctions (I'm thinking of the Mark II's that went for $220-230,000), but still held on to a good part of the steep appreciation curve of 2012-2014, it seems.

Total sell through for the 8 Monterey auctions was strong, but heavily biased to Ferraris, of which there was an ~35% increase in listings with reserves over $1mm.