Monterey

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
OK.. so how did the Sunbeams go at the historics?

How did the tigers run.. how did the sebring alpine run? Photos.. videos...

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks Rick,

I had checked the offical site, but as stated.. no results yet. I was hoping smone who had been could give a quick report.. and hopefully some pics. Theres not much up on flickr and youtube yet.

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Great on track shots

Watch the rear view when Mike nearly passes John Morton entering the last turn (5:40) and when Mike finally passes John for fifth (6:40) and stays with it. John is a Champion but you can clearly see is is more a brake issue, even from behind he can drive past the Falcon once. Mike Eisenberg driving the Falcon is by the way the owner of a nice Tiger street mobile and well respected in the Shelby community here in SoCal for his race prep business. Maeco Motorsports.

Rick

Last edited:

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Michael,

Thanks for finding that video. As Rick mentioned The Falcon belongs to (Tiger owner/CAT member) Mike Eisenberg and it won the award for being the most significant Ford entry at the Historics. (which you'll see if you watch the video to the end) Mike drove great and most of his lap times were within a tenth of the others.

Luck had nothing to do with #74's performance. We were slow, slower and finally slowest. To be honest, our preparation for this race largely showered our Tiger with benign neglect rather than work. We also skipped our usual pre race shakedown at Willow Springs. (and it showed) Before the race, our mechanic had wanted to pull the intake to inspect a possible problem but I told him not to bother. (I was very wrong on that call.)

We ended up turning lap speeds similar to what we'd turned 5 years ago. This was many seconds/lap slower than we ran 2 years ago at the Historics.

And we were a full second/lap slower this last weekend than we were the weekend before. The only change I made was to put on a new set of tires.

We gridded 3rd and finished 3rd in both races during the Pre Historic weekend.

For the Historics we gridded 5th and ended in 7th, well in the upper third but not what we'd expected. Cars we had beaten in both races at the Pre Historics ran away and hid in the Historics race. If the car had performed the way it ran 2 years ago, we might have placed around 3rd.

Tom Sakai had a great weekend. He set 3 new "personal bests" for lap times & finished 13th. He made some great passes on the main straight.

It's hard to compare the performances of the cars in the video. The Tiger's really have only one 13" tire approved for use in the Historics - the Toyo RA-1s (205-60-13). They officially have 6.9" of tread. Most of the other cars in our class run 15" wheels. Their tires are taller giving them a better tire patch. They also have a choice of tires - all with much wider treads (8-1/4" to 9-1/2"). This also puts a lot more rubber on the road.

The Tiger has to slow down more to handle a corner than it would with larger tires.

Also, I went into this race over-confident about our brakes. We run the Tiger's small (10" diameter) solid rotors and the Girling 16P calipers. We
ran at the Historics 2 years ago and had all sorts of brake problems. We then worked on brake cooling and had not had a brake problem since. Brake
problems returned when we got back to Laguna Seca. (It took about 3 laps.)

We learned the lesson the hard way. I now know that brakes that work fine at Sears Point and Coronado may not hold up at Monterey. The problem you saw in the video on turn 2 looked to me like the rear brakes locked. The balance between the front and rear was upset due to the loss of friction in the front brakes as they heated up. Locking brakes is bad but it's not as bad as completely loosing the pedal which happened 2 years ago when we last ran there. One of the Cobras in our race lost his pedal forcing him to intentionally spin. (In last Sunday's 10 lap race, John's quickest lap was the 8th & his second quickest was the final lap.) We've made progress but still have more to do.Back to the drawing board.

Over both weekends we had an engine "miss" that we never got straightened out. I thought it was electrical and our mechanic thought it might be the
carb. We do know that the #2 Intake opened its lash over 15 thousandths after the first weekend. At that point I decided to practice the car as
little as possible and gamble on running/finishing the race. In retrospect, a 7th is better to me than a DNS so I'd do it again.

As I mentioned above, before the race our mechanic wanted to figure out if the internal problem is the cam or another component in the valve train. I
stopped him. (My mistake) Now we plan to pull the intake on Friday. If the cam & lifters are OK we'll button it up and take it up to Willow Springs on Monday and start replacing electrical components & possibly the carb to isolate the miss. If we get lucky, we'll be able to run at Coronado next month. I believe Tom Sakai is also planning to race his Tiger there.

The old saying is that "you make your own luck" and in our case I'd given John a Tiger to drive that was not up to our usual standards so it's time to
get back to work.

BTW, Tiger owner Owain Lloyd won the long distance award for his commute to the Monterey from the UK to support the marque.

Buck Trippel