Identification VIN decoding

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
the bases pitt quite badly on the bases and the lenses can get melted if the globes stay on (i was thinking it is worth putting in LED globes to prevent hat happening).

Michael..... We put LED lights in the the housing and that solves the heat problem that melts the lenses.....as for the pits...my car will never see rain again so it should not be an issue. Hang on to your NOS parts they will only be more valuable over time..

Moondoggie

Warren

Gold forum user
Shroom white

Moonstone is pretty compared to the original white that was on my 64 VW bug convertible. Nearly the color of the cast steering wheel it was very grey.

Maybe some of the overseas members will splain the nature of why MOT's in UK, or down under treat a repaint differently.

As for the Sunday build date, imperfect cars built by imperfect humans probably hung over after the football match and a pub crawl home.

Sounds like a beautiful stable of ponies...

We have an old 64 Falcon convert as well not a Mustang but they ended up being rather low production numbers due to the Stang's popularity.

We love pics, only thing better is the sound of a long sleeping motor starting after years of sitting. Wish we could hear its purrrrr,.

Marine shops sell a nice cylinder oil fogging spray to ease her back into service...

AshUK

Silver forum user
The color code 19 is Moonstone. Interesting since my Tiger was Moonstone
at one point in time then yellow and artic white but recently after a complete
strip and repaint it is BRG. There were several areas on the car that had the original Moonstone color....It is a butt ugly color similiar to concrete so most have been repainted another color...yellow might suggest how ugly it was..lol
We would like to see some pictures !!!! and is it still an ugly shade of gray/white ??
450,000 miles might be some kind of record !!!

Moondoggie

Don't mind Moonstone but needs Azure blue piped dark blue interior to brighten it up? (see pic)

Your tiger looks good in dark BRG. Which manufacturer colour did you go for... Jaguar?

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Don't mind Moonstone but needs Azure blue piped dark blue interior to brighten it up? (see pic)

Your tiger looks good in dark BRG. Which manufacturer colour did you go for... Jaguar?

The color is 2002 Jaguar BRG done in base color/clear coat application. I let the body shop pick the BRG color since they had years of experiance painting
British sports cars. Came out real nice... There is no metalic in the paint..

Moondoggie

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Ive been a member of SAAC since the begining, Mustang club since 1969,have a large collection of literature, ford shop tips, stock holders reports,cobra brouchures , etc, if you are ever looking for any particular info on anything let me know.
QUOTE]

I have had my GT350 for about 17 yrs now--love it. I will PM you if I get any ideas on something I can't live without.....:)

dom forte

Bronze forum user
Is there a section on this forum that has some detail pictures of any tiger simular to the one I have so I can look at details like I see now that I pulled the car out there was a trim of rubber running the length of the car which I pulled off and notice there are small like rivet holes every so many inches, did they come with a chrome trim inline with the tiger logo?
Also there is a round like aluminum rod running across the grille area, was there any emblems or other chrome there.
In the trunk theres a wood frame vynle cover with a lid that goes over the battery and under that is the spare bolted down, and it looks like you could stand a spare up against the convertable storage area.

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
I believe from your VIN number that you have what is referred to as a Mark I. It would have metal lids over the top storage area as opposed to soft vinyl flaps used on the later Mark IA and Mark II. Also, I believe the rear view mirror is a little different (more rectangular) than the later models. So there may be subtle differences from your car from other Tigers you may see. The key is to look for other Mark I models to compare.

Since mine is a Mark IA, there are better qualified folks than me to point out what is or is not original to your car. But as for your question about the trunk, the spare does go on the floor under the false floor on all tigers, at least originally. That depression for a spare wheel mounted vertically in the trunk is the way they mounted them in the Alpine. The Alpine did not have the false floor and battery in the trunk. When they made the tiger, they also left off the mounting mechanism for the vertical tire mount on the forward wall of the trunk.

Hope some of that is helpful.

Gene

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Here's a couple of pics of what I believe a 'correct' MK1 front end should look like...

only the MK11's had no side 'strip' moulding

You can see that the grill are has a ss top finisher and 2 ss rounded bars in the middle that fasten to a centre chrome housing that contains a plastic logo and is mounted to a steel support. There is also a narrow ss finisher across the bottom and I'm told that it's correct to have the grill opening behind this painted black regardless of body colour

Your trunk sounds correct for a MK1... the spare tire well at the front of the trunk would house the spare in an Alpine which does not have the wood floor or battery in it.

Jim
B382000446

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
So Far, So Good

Is there a section on this forum that has some detail pictures of any tiger simular to the one I have so I can look at details like I see now that I pulled the car out there was a trim of rubber running the length of the car which I pulled off and notice there are small like rivet holes every so many inches, did they come with a chrome trim inline with the tiger logo?
Also there is a round like aluminum rod running across the grille area, was there any emblems or other chrome there.
In the trunk theres a wood frame vynle cover with a lid that goes over the battery and under that is the spare bolted down, and it looks like you could stand a spare up against the convertable storage area.

Except for that rubber body strip, everything you are noting belongs to a true Tiger:) And, yes, there is a body length stainless strip that fixes to those rivit holes.

dom forte

Bronze forum user
The wood shelf in the trunk with vynle on it , looks like it was a thin plywood, do you know the thickness , and the wheels are steel sloted with chrome center caps , would that be the standard rims , they match the spare.

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Here are a couple of pictures of my MK 1 trunk which is correct. The plywood is about 3/8" give or take. The most valuable Item in the trunk is the tool kit
which is on the left side by the tire..is yours there ??? A good one is worth upwards of $2k !!

Moondoggie

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Question ?

Here are a couple of pictures of my MK 1 trunk which is correct. The plywood is about 3/8" give or take. The most valuable Item in the trunk is the tool kit
which is on the left side by the tire..is yours there ??? A good one is worth upwards of $2k !!

Moondoggie

Can't see from the pic if you have the wood bumper strip beside the battery or the wood floor shim under it, as original? ;)

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Can't see from the pic if you have the wood bumper strip beside the battery or the wood floor shim under it, as original? ;)

Randy,

They are there you just can't see them and in fact they are the original
pieces that have been sanded and look like new !!!

Duke...

Ya but it's kinda hard to feed 375hp with the whiny stock pump hanging over the muffler !!! We both have the Edelbrock quiet flow pump which is a vane type pump and is very loud no matter how you isolate the sucker. I am changing mine out to the new Holley billet HLY-12-125 which is a geroter pump and the darn thing is so quiet you can't hear it run with the power on !!! It also will feed up to 700 hp and self regulated !!! I am also going to rerout my fuel line up the backside of the bell housing to the back of the carb to eliminate it running right over the road race pan and headers and boiling the fuel......

Moondoggie

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
I am changing mine out to the new Holley billet HLY-12-125 which is a geroter pump and the darn thing is so quiet you can't hear it run with the power on !!!

Let me know how that install goes as my pump is at its limit at 454 HP.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
What is the little round thingy below the pliers in the tool kit? That is the only piece I am missing from mine. :( Thanks.

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
What is the little round thingy below the pliers in the tool kit? That is the only piece I am missing from mine. :( Thanks.

That is a spark plug socket !!! The early Mk1's were finished in black oxide
and the later sockets were plated in Chrome. THe black oxide socket are near impossible to find and so I'm going to tell you that mine was well used and the finish has worn off...and I'm sticking to that story !!

Moondoggie

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
That is a spark plug socket !!! The early Mk1's were finished in black oxideTHe black oxide socket are near impossible to find and so I'm going to tell you that mine was well used and the finish has worn off...and I'm sticking to that story !!

Moondoggie

Get some dirty engine oil. put it in a metal pan and heat it.. then place your socket in it.. leave it for a while in there letting it cook away.. then remove.. you will have the correct black finish and it impregnates the surface.