Correct way to remove tach pointer?

Orig65Tiger

Bronze forum user
I want to remove the pointer on my tach. The unit is the factory original. It was no problem to turn the bezel and remove the glass. What's the correct way to remove the pointer from its shaft?

Thank you--Jim

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
You should use a needle jack. McMaster Carr (NA) may have one. Or get a spur gear puller for a model electric plane motor at a hobby shop.

You might be able to build a puller using a piece of 3/8" square brass tubing.

1. Cut a 1/4" long slot in open end of one side a bit wider than shaft diameter.

2. Find a small screw (with nut) a bit smaller than diam. of shaft.

3. Drill a hole aligned with slot about 3/16" in from end of tube, a bit larger diam. than screw, on the side opposite slot.

4. Drop screw in hole and place nut from inside of tube.

5. Position slot behind needle flange and locate screw on shaft end and draw nut up against inside of tube.

6. Hold nut from spinning while tightening screw. Needle should pull off shaft.

I'm just putting this together as I type without looking at a gage so verify all dimensions before starting. Protect gage and needle face from accidental scratches.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Justin

Orig65Tiger

Bronze forum user
Thank you, Michael and XTIGERX for responding.

Michael, your Alpine article is loaded with information, including the link within the article to a Classic Tiger write-up. XTIGERX, thanks for the tip on a way to make a miniature puller. I certainly got the answer to my question on how to remove the pointer.

My next step is to pull together the information and get going a tach that will accurately operate with an MSD 6T ignition.

I plan to make the upgrades described in the article that Michael provided. After that, I'm sure I need to make a separate upgrade that enables the tach to work with an electronic ignition. I have to check my Tiger archives to find an old Tech Tip covering that.

I may start a new thread on upgrading the tachometer for use with an electronic ignition. I'd love to know if anybody has documented from start to finish what one has to do to make the conversion.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thank you, Michael and XTIGERX for responding.

Michael, your Alpine article is loaded with information, including the link within the article to a Classic Tiger write-up. QUOTE]

jim,

Would love to take credit.. but im just the messenger.. Tom H wrote the article.. im just guiding you to his words of wisdom :p