4100 on a Tiger

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Does anybody have experience with an Autolite 4100 on a Tiger ? Dislike the Holley and have an Edelbrock but how about this alternative ?

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
I had a fully functioning (hot air choke) 4100 on the 260 and the engine ran like a dream. Still have the complete set up but not sure if I am willing to part with it. It took a lot of time to find the correct carb and set it up.

Check this forum for lots of info on the 4100 - http://www.network54.com/Forum/88781/

Ed can even build you one if you are interested.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Ditto

Does anybody have experience with an Autolite 4100 on a Tiger ? Dislike the Holley and have an Edelbrock but how about this alternative ?

Ditto with Duke: I ran one many years ago and the only issue was a minor accelerator pump adjustment. Very smooth and reliable w/good gas use. Still in the barn somewhere . . . . . .

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Edelbrock runs fine on my first Tiger but for the second which is almost standard I' m considering something with more original & less shiny appeal...

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Here is a couple pics when it was installed -

carb3_zpsf6dedf30.jpg

carb4_zps647b7863.jpg

You should look for a C5ZF-C carb. (1.08)
Primaries should be 49F, sec. 58F
Boosters should be - primary: CF, secondary: A

The 1.08 4100 is perfect for the 260 or 289.

The 1.12 is too big and you will never get the engine to run as well as a 1.08.

This is where I found my carb. http://www.autoline.ca/carburetors.htm
I actually called them and had them search their inventory for a C5ZF-C, they then sent it to a local parts store where I picked it up.

Here is one on ebay ($$$$) - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-289-FO...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7dd0e0ad&vxp=mtr
I Bench-Set the Carburetor to YOUR application, if you request.

Last edited:

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for the comprehensive advise. Looks great. Have to digest the 450 bucks plus shipping - hmm ...

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Thanks for the comprehensive advise. Looks great. Have to digest the 450 bucks plus shipping - hmm ...

I would not take less than $500 for mine IF I was to sell it.

This carb looks to have all the correct parts and the seller even offers to set it up for you. The $450 is looking to be a good price. You will need the hot and cold air tubes for the choke. Do you have the stock exhaust manifolds?

Cold start was very nice. Get in the car, push the pedal to the floor once (this put fuel in the manifold and sets the choke) and start the car. The choke automatically releases at the engine warms.

http://forums.mustangmonthly.com/70/8610347/vintage-mustangs/how-to-fix-your-choke-tubes/

DCTiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Glad I kept my 4 bbl off my 65 Mustang I sold @ Carlisle :D. Especially when they are running at that price. I was planning on running the hot choke setup as original with the Tiger. Looks like it is the right thing to do after hearing the talk on the forum. Duke mine is a C5ZF-D, do you know what the difference is btwn the -C and -D?

Is anyone running a stock 4 bbl manifold or are they all the F4B style? I have a spare stock 4bbl to replace the Tiger 2 bbl.

Thanks,

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Cast iron

The F4B is significantly lighter than the cast iron ones.

Also (strange but true) the F4B was an LAT option "LAT1" and so does not move a Tiger from Stock Class to Personalized Class. It is considered stock! And will make more HP than the boat anchor.

Not sure about how the stock class judges view cast iron Ford 4V manifolds but I do not see them in LAT options (BON stock options) and Rootes never installed 4V manifolds except on factory race/rallye team cars of course. Dealers would of course install anything the buyer wanted.

I have Ed. Performer and Ed. Performer rpm on our personalized and modified class Tigers respectively with complimentary upgrades in cam and heads to make good use of each manifolds potential. I did not say best.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Duke mine is a C5ZF-D, do you know what the difference is btwn the -C and -D?

Yes. C5ZF-D is for an automatic tranny car.

C5ZF-D has 48F primary jet (-1 from the C), also has a CH primary booster (CF for the C). No idea what the difference in boosters is as the booster specs are not known. The rest is identical.

You can easily install a CF booster in your carb if you can find one.

You can be smart as me if you buy this book - http://www.fordsmallblock.com/index.html

Last edited:

DCTiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks guys for the advice on Fe anchors vs Al LAT options for stock class. And Duke the carb did come off an automatic car. I should've looked more closely at the book my wife gave me for Xmas years ago (one you referenced, App C). Funny is, the edition I have came out with the cover upside down.

Davidpal

Bronze forum user
I had a completely performing (hot air choke) 4200 on the 260 and the motor ran like a desire. Still have the finish set up but not sure if I am willing to aspect with it. It took lots of your time and energy and effort to choose the right carbs and set it up. . . . . . . .