Brakes and Wheels

Brent Ladyman

New forum user
Has anyone fitted Superlite wheels over Willwood brakes. It appears to be a very close fit. If so what wheels size and offset?
Thanks

Warren

Gold forum user
Size matters

Seems 13" ss won't fit with bigger brakes. Some have changed to vented rotor with better performance pads. Lots of thread's here on CAT.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Brent what size discs? The 10.5" rotor needs 14" wheels while the 12" requires 15" wheels iirc.

Too Tech

Bronze forum user
If you are stuck on 13" wheels, you are also stuck with a 10" rotor. Like Warren said, there are threads on converting to vented rotors that involve modifying junk yard parts and using an OEM rotor. But I'm not familiar with them since I was not interested in such an approach.
I work on a track car with 13" wheels and could not accept the overheating of a 13" disk rotor. Regardless of pad selection, the disk could not dissipate the heat fast enough causing the brakes to fade and the fluid to boil.
I designed a bolt on 10" x .81" thick flat vented rotor and an adapter to mount it in the stock location. It utilizes the stock caliper with custom designed shims to space the pads to the new .81" width.
Although obviously not a 12" or bigger rotor, the ability to remove heat allows an aggressive Hawk pad to be used with a significant improvement in brake performance.
Rick

Last edited:

Brent Ladyman

New forum user
Brent Ladyman

I took a chance and bought 2 X 15" rims. The Willwood brakes are 11.5".
The Superlite guy's said they wouldn't fit over the calipers, but they did,
just. About 4mm to spare. The rims have 24mm offset.

JimsCat

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Toyota Truck Calipers?

Has anyone had experience with early-80s Toyota 4-wheel-drive truck front calipers? I'm told that the bolt spacing is close enough to mount on Tiger uprights, they are 4-piston fixed mount, and the truck rotors were non-vented (like the Tigers'). My question is: Will they fit under the 13" LAT wheels? Is shimming or grinding necessary to align the calipers with the Tiger rotors? Is there an available 3/8-24 to metric adapter, or must custom brake lines be fabricated?

Many thanks!

Jim