Installing Mirrors on doors

Austin

New forum user
I picked up a pair of stainless TEX Automotive England bullet style mirrors to replace the tacky black aftermarket ones on my 65 Tiger. These new mirrors bolt on from inside the door, requiring removal of the panel. The problem is that if you install them across from the wing (as most are shown here) there is a piece that flairs out from the top of the door that blocks your ability to get a wrench on the bolt to tighten it into the mirror.

Is there a special tool I can use or is this a piece I can cut off?

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I had to do basically the same thing and also used the TEX mirrors. What made it worse was the fact that the old mirror had a different bolt center and I had to try and cover those up with the new installation :O
I remember that piece as it runs at a different angle than how you want the bolts to :mad:. I think I did reach up there and bend it over a bit for clearance but it didn't help much. I used socket head cap screws that are a lot smaller head and a ball end 'allen' ( hex) key to install them. It was a tedious job but I managed to get them in there
Hope that helps... a 'bit' :rolleyes:

BOJ_10809.jpg
12160000-2.jpg
2Q==

Austin

New forum user
Very helpful! So simple, don't know why I didn't think of it. You mentioned covering up prior holes and I have that issue in spades with this car. The TEX mirror does not have a wide enough base to do that on the drivers side so I am searching for a sport bullet style mirror but with a long base (4.8").

I see that aardvark international is selling the old Talbot brand version with a wide base that is just long enough but they want $500 per mirror and I'm having a problem spending that much of a couple of mirrors.

Are there any other options for this style with a long base?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I can offer a few suggestions.. look for original walpres mirrors on eBay UK.. you can use their long base.

Alternatively... Think of the repro Talbot's ( iirc they were around 500 a pair not individual?) If you put it in context... Whatever current model car you have if you broke a mirror it would be 300+ to replace... Sure might have motors etc.. but the Talbot's are ha d spun high quality... And they look so nice.... In 2 years you wont remember the cost just that you have nice mirrors.... :cool: