my new Alger

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Finally picked up my "beater Tiger" I have been wanting. This car was built in the 70's and then re-done in the 90's. The 289 and top loader have been pushed back so the front of the block is at the centerline, you can tell a difference driving it. 4 wheels disc brakes, coil overs on all 4 corners, tube frame, Ford 9", 4 link with pan hard rod, HRE wheels. I need to get new seats as these are funky and I sit too close, worse than my Tiger. It was built to go racing as the owner raced in the SCCA series, would love to see pics of it back in the day. Finally got my flares I have been wanting since my 1st Tiger back in the early 80's.

2cpdo36.jpg

id59x2.jpg

126a886.jpg

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
She's a beaut! Looks like a brake bias valve for the front brakes. What kind of front suspension does it have? How well does the electric fan work?
Cheers, -Kevin

leepear

Gold forum user
bruce, a fun car you can really enjoy without any worries. It will make you happy and you now have an autocross, road-race car almost turnkey. Can't wait to ride in it. Lee

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Thanks guys. Kevin, the front suspension I am still trying to figure out, it has what looks like an OEM front cross member but I am not sure what it's out of, haha. Tubular A arms and coil overs make it nice, I am going to try and lower the car a bit more soon. The electric fan so far has kept it cool (190F) the past few days while it's been in the mid 90's outside.
I was given the original owners contact info so I shot him an email, hopefully I get a reply as to what's really in the car.

Warren

Gold forum user
Bad influence I am

A Craigslist find that got sent to Mr. Local , but I have been spamming you for all I see North of Fresno. Put on that Le Carra wheel and some of your hoarde of bits and work down the rough edges, unless you like em rough.
The seats are ugly can you get some that can recline thought the adjusting valve went on the rear brake line..It bass been 15 years since I did Falcon
So it says Tiger on the title? Like to see it up on lift.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Thanks Warren--yes, I had to laugh, it says Sunbeam Tiger on the title. The seats need to go, quickly. Ditch the radio too and maybe paint the interior metal grey like the 60's vintage racers. Here is a quick pic of the rear, come up and visit and take it for a spin. :)

2exc6r8.jpg

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thats quite a pan hard bar... Only thing I would be concerned with is the exhaust dumping under the car. While it would be a pain trying to snake some pipes through the rest suspension, perhaps you could add a couple of 45º pipes and vent in front of the front tires? Either way, looks like a fun kitty-kart!

Cheers, -Kevin

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Thats quite a pan hard bar... Only thing I would be concerned with is the exhaust dumping under the car. While it would be a pain trying to snake some pipes through the rest suspension, perhaps you could add a couple of 45º pipes and vent in front of the front tires? Either way, looks like a fun kitty-kart!

Cheers, -Kevin

I have 2 ideas in mind--either dump it in front of the rear tires OR make some side pipes like the old Vettes had with the 4 pipes rolling out then into one big pipe--very retro. Gotta fix the seats first, need more leg room.
I got ahold of the original "owner", he built it in 1976 on the east coast, got the running gear out of a 1965 Falcon, hi perf 289, top loader and 9" rear. The front end is out of a Mustang II. He drove it that way until the 90's when he had Ground Control in Calif do the suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes and HRE wheels. The man that built the tube chassis was a dragster chassis fabricator, so at least I know that everything was done right.

leepear

Gold forum user
I have seen the sidepipes on Tigers. With the big flares it will increase the stance of the car and actually add to the looks. I vote for the vette type sidepipes flat header black..........Lee

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Thanks Lee, always good to hear what others think, and you are right with the black paint. I saw a set of door handles on a Porsche today but I don't think our handles are thick enough to do this, we'll see as I have several extras to practice on. Thoughts??

16bef68.jpg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Wont work or look good on sunbeam handles... porsche have a varge verical face.. we have a thin profiled casting.. better bet and period woul dbe to change to the hillman husky style push opens.. as used on the monster Tiger..

not exact.. but this style...

RyanReis-AG.jpg

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
I like the flares too and nice looking wheels.

Ya don't have to be concerned about the side trim being straight now.

Saw the pic of the other side of the car in your EuroSunday post. What does it look like from the rear? Isn't that the angle most will be seeing the car from?

Are you thinking about swapping out the side mirror, maybe some kind of Euro / flag style, along with the door handles? Massive improvement in being able to see whats around you with a bit bigger mirror. There was a fairly recent post with a pic of side pipes but don't recall who posted.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I would like the spun aluminum side mirrors, they look good. The rear of the flares stick out way too much, I hope to bring them in about 3" at the bottom. Here is a look--they remind me of air brakes..haha
m8z484.jpg

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
Well the wheel certainly seems to fit better from that angle. Looking from the front it looks like there's room for duallys back there. 3" might be too much though maybe just an inch would be purrrfect, if you don't mind me throwing in my 2 cents. I've got a bit of a flare on mine but seems only to be mud flaps compared to yours. I've got a couple pics in my profile, forum and post pics of what I have.

From that rear angle and with no trim almost seems it would be nice without any door hardware at all. Maybe if you can't mod the door handles themselves a wider "cap" can be applied with the look you want.

I bought a cheap plastic mirror to get a feel for what I was looking for but don't like the corner sticking up or the boot, rather it be flat across the top. Not sure what the spun alum ones you mention look like. I haven't had much luck finding something I like on-line.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
If I were to make the flare even with the body like the fronts I am looking at 3" coming off---you haven't seen the "bad" angle. haha. In the 80's we used the "turbo" mirrors which looked a lot like yours, good looking mirror. I might try and stick with the race theme. On a side note--yesterday a man came up to me and said he raced against my car in the 90's at ThunderHill raceway, from what he remembers it was well sorted out as he said it kept up with his Cobra.
34y1v87.jpg

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
One of the reasons I like it--there is no right or wrong like a nice restored car..just whatever the imagination can come up with. Now I have a clean one and a fun one. :)

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
alger

the rear flares look to be similar to the ones on tom patton's race tiger. we took a photo of one of his right rear fenders hanging on my car. it's on page 17 of my photobucket.