Toploader rebuild

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
During my first attempt to rebuild a Toploader myself I experience the following 2 issues ( using a Scott Drake kit):

- the input shaft only accepts 14 needles . The 15th can be fitted with pressure but then the others lock up. All literature says 15 - hmmm? Any ideas?

- the Tiger Service Manual says "detent pin" on top of the reverse shaft shift rail while the parts book indicates a hatchet head pin. What is correct ?

Other than those the kit came with plastic trust washers instead of the copper coated original ones. Did anybody ever use those ? Reused my original ones because no trust in that cheap looking plastic...

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Update:

2nd issue is fixed, i.e. it must be a hatchet head pin otherwise interlock function will not work...

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks Gary,

David Kee's Toploader picture is great even though still difficult to exactly see the head shape of those small pins...

tigerracer

Silver forum user
Hi Bernd,
Around 1966 or 67 Ford started using the plastic thrust washers, all the US rebuilder seem to use the plastic. I use the metal washers when they are in good condition.
Thanks again for the evening with your family and Stephan. My wife will be in Bitburg for the baptism of our grandson this Thursday.
Cheers,
Dale Akuszewski

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi Dale,
Great to hear from you. We also enjoyed your visit much.Hope your wife has a good time in the Eifel.

Interesting info that Ford used plastic thrust washers later. Appearantly the penny counters got more strength. I'll keep using the copper ones as long as possible. The Toploader is finished now and works fine - at least on the bench.

Feel generally it's getting harder to source rebuild kits nowadays. The bearings are not so easy to find plus the synchros are getting scarce. Hmmm - perhaps I should stock a few more kits before they become unobtanium...

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Would be ideal for those long Autobahn rides ! Will consider it an option:)

tigerracer

Silver forum user
Hi Bernd,
I decided to join my wife and spend a few weeks in Germany. Anything happening with the German Tiger club in the next few weeks?

Dale

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Great ! Our next bigger event will be on the weekend of 6th -7th of June at Markus Tiger garage in Bavaria. Weisswurst and Beer. Not sure about your detailed schedule though but feel welcome at our house anytime...