Water pump pulley issue

pitman

Bronze forum user
Is there such a thing as an asymmetrical water pump pulley?

I was really looking forward to replacing my 6 incher with a smaller diameter for cooling purposes on my '65 Tiger 260ci (it needs all the cooling help it can get). I've been looking for months but haven't been able to find the recommended Fairmont/Mercury Zephyr 5 3/16", but did come across a 5 1/4" pulley from March Performance. It's 3 1/4" thick like by rough measure my (surely aftermarket) current pulley is, so would prob fit w/ my existing pump, but... the problem is that it's advertised to only work w/ Left-side lower radiator hose (mine is Right, like I think all pre-'70 small blocks have?). Huh?! How is a spinning cylinder asymmetrical? Maybe the grooves are serrated? Is this normal?

http://marchperformance.com/ford-28...ater-flow-ratio-water-pump-v-belt-pulley.html

Assuming this one won't work, does anyone know of another pulley that'll do the job?

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
You should give Dale's Resto a call he can likely make the right size pulley with the right size center pilot. I think you need to enlarge the hole in the stock pulley, but not 100%. It also may be different based on water pump.

Sandy