Steering Wheel Adjustment Screw and Center Cap

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi All

I need to remove the large adjusting screw and center cap from my steering wheel so I can refinish them. Seems like a straightforward job, but those are the ones that sometimes get me into trouble. The shop manual is not very clear on details...just the usual "remove and refit."

I have read you can gently pry off the center cap. At this point I get confused. :confused: Does the big adjustment screw just screw right off or do you need remove the smaller screw under the center cap? Also, should the steering column be in the extended or retracted position when you do this...or does that matter?

Thanks

Warren

Gold forum user
Other thread

It's addressed in another. But the padded button lifts or comes off by a blade under its chrome surround. Next the center bolt comes off. This frees the expander bolt unless the little plastic clip is there, if not the threaded shaft can go down the rabbit hole. I use some sailor's twine or make a clip out of a plastic dairy lid . If you don't have this clip or make shift washer removing the wheel motion is nearly guaranteed to allow the expander bolt to disappear causing more headache. Probably collapsed is better.
PS be careful the black ring is plastic not anything expensive or paint remover proof. If it's buggered I talked to the one guy who restores them and he uses a epoxy.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Raise the Wheel and Tighten It First

To avoid losing the adjustment bolt, you can first loosen the adjustment knob (the big black plastic part in the center of your steering wheel) and then pull the steering wheel towards you as far as it can go. Then tighten the adjustment knob very tight to "lock" the sliding expander bolt in place. Then you can loosen the bolt under the padded motif in the center of the wheel. Be sure to hold onto the steering wheel while loosening the bolt so that the expander bolt is not loosened at the same time. Then you can finish removing your steering wheel. Good luck!

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Easier Solution

So after prying off the center cap, which came off easily, I realized there was an easier solution that would eliminate the need to remove the adjustment screw. I simply isolated the plastic adjustment ring by masking it off. After a bit of light sanding, I gave it a new coat of Satin Black paint. Looks like new. :)

Thanks for the help.