LAT hood scoop dimensions

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Hood pictures

Steven Alcala does do amazing work with aluminum. The Tiger hoods he has done that I know of have the aluminum replacing the original steel of the top of the hood with the underside of formed steel retained to provide strength and stock hinges and latch. The weight is further reduced by cutting holes in the frame of the hood.

Note aluminum skin visible in the holes. Photo of Sakai's yellow race car both sides. I just took these at Coronado race and will post more later.

Red car is the Teepen's. Note that neither is an LAT replica and I am not aware of Steve doing one in the style of an LAT. Jere's is very stealthy. No indication of aluminum and no scoops or vents. Unless the hood is up showing the unpainted aluminum.

Example of LAT hood (Bonnie's Tiger) with Long Beach raindrops also included.

Rick

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Aluminum Trunk lids

Not sure but...

Trunk probably is Aluminum also. The red car was restored, owned, and raced by Steve prior to the current owner's tenure. The 331 stroker and PS wheels were added by Mr. Teepen.

Rick

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Steel LAT Bonnetta

Here's some dimension refs for you guys & gals. This steel unit was cloned from 3 almost identical LAT glass examples.

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
I am not a great admirer of the LAT bonnet. I think it spoils the lines of the car a little. I think it would look better if it went in reverse and was a power bulge and open at the rear, to benifit from the high pressuer air at the base of the windscreen. Bit like the E-type. Just my opinion.

I have done my bonnet like below. It is not open at the rear as I would have liked and I would have prefered it to start further to the front but I am still happy with the result. Also it was an old bonnet I picked up which already had an ugly old scoup on it, so my other bonnet is still in stoc form.

47787d67.jpg

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Here's some dimension refs for you guys & gals. This steel unit was cloned from 3 almost identical LAT glass examples.

Thank you for the dimensions--great help. I'll keep everyone posted when I get him started, probably not until Nov.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I am not a great admirer of the LAT bonnet. I think it spoils the lines of the car a little. I think it would look better if it went in reverse and was a power bulge and open at the rear, to benifit from the high pressuer air at the base of the windscreen. Bit like the E-type. Just my opinion.

I have done my bonnet like below. It is not open at the rear as I would have liked and I would have prefered it to start further to the front but I am still happy with the result. Also it was an old bonnet I picked up which already had an ugly old scoup on it, so my other bonnet is still in stoc form.

47787d67.jpg

Good looking hood, seems like it would "suck" the hot air out too.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Puurrrrty Bonnets

We did the rear facing power hump in the 60's racing years just to make more room for the high rising Holley. It was ugly, did the job fine, and pumped the heat right down the vent holes (which we plugged).

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I may do a one off hood now, use the rear "triangles" and make those like the LAT's, but maybe do a little something like the 69/70 Shelby hood. Not sure yet, want something unique but classy.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Nice scoop--do you have a pic of the whole hood?

Does anyone know what this scoop is off of??
2yuh79d.jpg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
looks liek the aftermarket rivert on hoods they sell for the cobras and mustangs... a few guys have used those on tigers in the states. Bill Atalla recently used a 55 T bird scoop IIRC... looked similar to the HSC55 scoop in my eyes.