Mark II radio antenna location

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
I am looking to add a radio to my Mark IA and am mulling different antenna locations.

Rumor has it that the factory actually made provision for a radio antenna somewhere in the rear trunk area on the Mark II. Any pictures and details of where it would be would be greatly appreciated.

Thx in advance. Gene

ABSunbeams

Gold forum user
MK2 antenna location

Gene-The radio antenna location that was found on my MK2 was on the right front fender. When the color was changed from green to red in the 80's by the former owner he moved it to the right rear by the tailight. On my Mk1 & Series V it is located by the right rear in the same location. On a couple of other photos I have it is located in the same spot MK1 & Mk2

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time to share the pictures and comments.

My son has strongly discouraged me from drilling any holes in "our" Tiger so first I am going to try one of those "hidden" antennas. The idea is to position it horizontally somehow under the flap that goes over the soft top when the top is stowed. Maybe make use of the hold up straps over the top cavity in some way. Obviously need to protect the window from getting scratched. I know these types of antennas get very mixed reviews but the Tune Trapper that connects from one end of the rod instead of in the middle like most seems worth a try.

Best regards, Gene

dlyle

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Rumor has it that the factory actually made provision for a radio antenna somewhere in the rear trunk area on the Mark II. Any pictures and details of where it would be would be greatly appreciated.

Thx in advance. Gene

Weren't the radio holes dealer installed or could they be factory ordered? Dealer installed only explain the varying locations you see them in.

I had a very late Series V Alpine and I don't remember there being any mount towards the rear of the car.....and it had an antenna mounted up front. Doesn't make any sense at the rear either since you would need to fish the cable under the carpet all the way up to and under the dash. So much easier when it's on the front fender.

My Tiger had the antenna mounted in the back in 1968. Would much prefer it up front. Looks like it's in a very similar location to the picture of that green Tiger but on the other side.

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Dealer installed here... or worse.

Weren't the radio holes dealer installed or could they be factory ordered? Dealer installed only explain the varying locations you see them in.

...since you would need to fish the cable under the carpet all the way up to and under the dash. So much easier when it's on the front fender.

My Tiger had the antenna mounted in the back in 1968. ....

This MKIA has (had) rear antenna, driver's side (left) rear quarter panel wing top, 'bout aligned with front of boot hinge.

Fished through wheel well, and tied to 'frame' holes while running along sill, finally curving from engine bay through firewall (perhaps same hole as speedo).

Early pictures show location there. Pretty obvious dealer did it and not factory; non Sunbeam branded Moto radio.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
One Spot Only

Having dissected these critters down to their naked innards, I am aware of only one factory planned location which is the right top fender near the windscreen. The inner cowl support (A-post) has the planned access hole beneath the exposed location. Other than aftermarket/dealer/owner carvings, I ain't seen anything else that would indicate another spot. amen:p

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
As stated by randy the factory provided holes in the front inner panels for both LHD/RHD mounting. These mounting holes correspond to the measurements provided for the optional factory radio consoles.

Dealers often did what they wanted but the factory had made allowance for them at the front and it does resolve the issues of connecting the aerial cable to the radio unit.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
this antenna location allows the cable to enter the car thru the opening randy mentioned. the opening was cut by the old guy locally that restored both cars.