Mk 2 wiring issue

ABSunbeams

Gold forum user
Installed a wiring harness from SS and have a question, there are two wires brown w/green strip that are located near the fuse block. The diagram shows it to be a under bonnet light & switch accessory. Anyone have a picture of the under hood light for a Mk2? Have not seen one at any United or SUNI's. Could it be a intended accessory that was offered?
Al

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Juice Trace

Installed a wiring harness from SS and have a question, there are two wires brown w/green strip that are located near the fuse block. The diagram shows it to be a under bonnet light & switch accessory. Anyone have a picture of the under hood light for a Mk2? Have not seen one at any United or SUNI's. Could it be a intended accessory that was offered?
Al

The optional under bonnet light is fed by a blue wire coming from the "constant hot" fuse that is fed from the BAT side of the starter solenoid. It shares this fused connection with the cigar lighter (blue), map light & horns (purple). Anything you may have showing brown/green would be a secondary circuit en route from an actuator (switch). E.G. might be like the windscreen wiper grounding switch or LH flasher bulbs. Of course, the after market colour scheme may not be the same as factory ?!?!

SunbeamTgr

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I have installed at least three Mk ll wiring harnesses over the years, all in Mk l or Mk lA cars. This past summer, I installed another in a V6 Alpine setup. These all were done using that harness to improve wiring connections, when using a ford alternator and voltage regulator. This last harness was the first one that I've seen with those extra two wires coming out near the fuse block. Also, neither of my original wired Mk ll's have those wires. I believe they end up under the dash on the driver's side. Rick, at SS, was not aware of the changes in the newer harnesses. Sure wish they weren't included!! Gary Haslip

ABSunbeams

Gold forum user
MK2 Wiring issue

Thanks for the replies. Rick did mention there are some differences in the harness. Wire colours matched the diagram but had to splice connectors to the rear wiring harness. Overall the harness worked great to replace 48 year old wires. Had one mixup of wires that was found at the United. Found the brake light wires hooked to the horn and vice versa. Hit the horn and I would have brake lights. How embarrassing,live and learn.-Al

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Mk2 brake light wire

I have had my car back for about a month after a couple years being away getting areas/components fixed and car painted. Everything worked when I got it back. With all the good weather I would love to take my car out but my brake lights stopped working the other day. My running lights work, signals etc work, just no way to make other drivers know I'm slowing or at a stop. I have checked grounds to the rear lights and even added them to the wing nut and gas tank bracket. I have by-passed the brake switch expecting the lights to come on when the ignition key is turned on. I have checked for power to the brake line switch and there is power there, and then to the green wire with the purple stripe at the tail light with no power at that point. On the wiring diagram it shows a coupler or a join, I am thinking that it's a good place to check to see if the connection is good or has been pulled making no connection. Does anyone know where this connection is located for the brake light, green with a purple stripe wire? Under the dash, the rear of the car??? Any help on this is gratefully appreciated.
Brian

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Short It

I have had my car back for about a month after a couple years being away getting areas/components fixed and car painted. Everything worked when I got it back. With all the good weather I would love to take my car out but my brake lights stopped working the other day. My running lights work, signals etc work, just no way to make other drivers know I'm slowing or at a stop. I have checked grounds to the rear lights and even added them to the wing nut and gas tank bracket. I have by-passed the brake switch expecting the lights to come on when the ignition key is turned on. I have checked for power to the brake line switch and there is power there, and then to the green wire with the purple stripe at the tail light with no power at that point. On the wiring diagram it shows a coupler or a join, I am thinking that it's a good place to check to see if the connection is good or has been pulled making no connection. Does anyone know where this connection is located for the brake light, green with a purple stripe wire? Under the dash, the rear of the car??? Any help on this is gratefully appreciated.
Brian

Pull the two wires off the brake switch at the line connection block and hook them together. With this constant hot feed, you can now wander around the car with your test light without assistance.

ABSunbeams

Gold forum user
Another MK2 wiring issue

Having an issue with the Tach, fuel gage and temperature gage all lose their readings and go to zero when driving. They will all come back on at the same time a few miles down the road. The one common is the voltage reducer, could it be that or some common ground? (The Tach is a Cobra tach conversion with MK2 face, so it is a direct connection to the coil)

Al

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The Doktor is out

Having an issue with the Tach, fuel gage and temperature gage all lose their readings and go to zero when driving. They will all come back on at the same time a few miles down the road. The one common is the voltage reducer, could it be that or some common ground? (The Tach is a Cobra tach conversion with MK2 face, so it is a direct connection to the coil)

Al

Long distance diagnosis is iffy at best, but, sounds like a daisy chain ground is misbehavin'