Shifting

DCTiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Finished the car during summer, but had to move houses so I am trying to resolve one remaining issue. Just finally cleared out the garage to be able to pull the Tiger out.

I have reverse, 1st and 2nd, and no 3rd and 4th. Of course I should have checked this all while the engine and transmission were out of the car.

Something wierd is that I do not have to push the lockout for reverse, but need it to get to 3rd and 4th.

When the shifter is at rest in neutral, it is in the position for 1st/2nd. I can move it freely to the left for reverse, but have to push the lockout to move it right for 3rd/4th.

I have tried to adjust the linkage as stated in the manual by sticking a screwdriver in the hole and loosening/tightening the rods.

I do not have enough fwd/reverse motion with the shifter to get 3rd/4th, but can manually move the arm thru the gears.

Thxs for the suggestions!

Warren

Gold forum user
Rebuild pages

Recently I got a top loader rebuild manual. It also has an extensive adjustment set of pages. I will get it scanned soon.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Robert,
Can you lift the shifter boot and take and post some pictures of your shifter base? I would think something is assembled backwards here but shouldn't be a tough one to fix...
-Kevin

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
My guess is that you have a short shifter and it's on backwards... the little tang that the 'T' handle 'lifts' should be on the right side closest to the trans... if it's on the left, you would have to lift the 'T' to access 3rd and 4th

DCTiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Short Shifter

Jim,

Yes I do have early car with short shifter.

I am feeling a little embarrassed right now. I will reverse the shifter tomorrow and see what happens.

The other toploaders I have dealt with usually have a curved arm which shows which way they should be mounted.

Thxs,

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Your very detailed description of the problem and the fact that I had a spare linkage and stick in the shop inspired me to go out to the shop and try to figure it out ;)

Hopefully that's the fix

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
More Ditto

Your very detailed description of the problem and the fact that I had a spare linkage and stick in the shop inspired me to go out to the shop and try to figure it out ;)

Hopefully that's the fix

The short post Cobra guyz stumble into this enigma quite often . . . .most are too stubborn to ask questions.

DCTiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
180 out

All,

Thanks for the hints. After it was mentioned by Jim, I felt a little silly because I should have just turned the shifter around. I usually figure things out, but this time ran out of patience in a dark garage.

The shifter now in neutral, is in the 3rd/4th position which allows for any easy shift after going thru 1st/2nd. And the lockout is right to allow entry into reverse.

Now all I have to do is rotate the knob so it is facing the right direction, but ran out of light.

Today, I just got my permits for my 2 stall garage addition. Old school service station look - 3 stalls with the middle higher to reinstall my 4 post lift.

Should be a serviceable garage with room for sandblaster/press/workbench/compressor/etc as well as multiple cars. I will actually be able to use the lift as a lift; before I didn't really have enough headroom to roll the Tiger underneath w/out removing the windscreen. (remember Oneoffive when I asked how to remove it?)

Again thanks all,