Scatter Shield

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
With the talk about the need for scatter shields of late, I'm considering adding one to my car while everything is apart. I found the Quicktime RM-6062 (for a 5-bolt) at Jegs for $560. Lakewood only makes a 6-bolt version. I know this because I once bought one at a swap meet (for $50!), not knowing it wouldn't fit my 5-bolt at the time. Any other options?

TIA
John.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
I have a QT six bolt -
008-2.jpg

Had to do some minor die grinding to get clearance for the clutch slave bracket. No big deal. Best $560 you will ever spend.

Ohhh yea, I also had to drill and tap two holes to move the clutch fork pivot bracket out. Have a machine shop do this as you want the holes 100% square.

001-3.jpg

wag123

Gold forum user
With the talk about the need for scatter shields of late, I'm considering adding one to my car while everything is apart. I found the Quicktime RM-6062 (for a 5-bolt) at Jegs for $560. Lakewood only makes a 6-bolt version. I know this because I once bought one at a swap meet (for $50!), not knowing it wouldn't fit my 5-bolt at the time. Any other options?

TIA
John.
You only really NEED a scatter shield if you are running slicks, or, if you have an oil leak that is getting on the clutch (which is something that you WILL know about, ask Duke). A scatter shield and drive shaft safety loop are REQUIRED at the drag race tracks when slicks are used. That should tell you how much stress slicks put on a drive train.
Regardless of HP, during street use with street tires you will break traction with a Tiger LONG before the clutch slips, even with a stock low-end clutch, posi, oversized radial tires, and a stock engine. With more HP you will just break traction quicker/easier.
Having said that, a scatter shield is a very nice piece of insurance to have. It saved my A$$ once.

Tigerbill

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Had a friend who lost part of both feet when his blew up.

I'm well past the junior Joe Hotrod stage (-60) but still wonder if I should wrap the bell housing with a "blanket"

Anyone tried that?

Bill McG

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
wonder if I should wrap the bell housing with a "blanket"

I would advise against it due to heat. There is very little room as is for air to pass out of the engine compartment along the bellhousing and tranny. A blanket would block it.

Twin Turbo Tiger

Gold forum user
For what most guys do with there tigers 90% will never need one.
I ran without one for 20 yrs and had a couple of clutches come apart but never any real damage :)
PS I run a powerguild now that has a SFI bell housing on it

Brianelec

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I have never personally had a flywheel explode. I have mistreated my cars plenty. I did buy a MK II in about 1970 that the previous owner had exploded the flywheel. There was a repaired hole in the floor to testify to the damage. When I purchased the Tiger it had a Diest safety blanket around the bellhousing. It stayed on as long as I had the car and was sold with it in place in about 1974. I don't feel it blocked the air flow. The bad part was that at any event I went to such as autocrosses I was continually stopped on course by course workers seeing the blanket hanging. They constantly thought it was a trapped cone or something. Not the case. I currently run a Lakewood scattershield and would not participate in speed events without it. I feel that the Lakewood scattershield does block the airflow to some extent. But I feel that is the cost of being safe.

wag123

Gold forum user
I have never personally seen a flywheel explode in a car that was running street tires and/or didn't have an oil leak. In my case, I had a oil leak that I THOUGHT was fixed and was running slicks. I had a Lakewood scattershield with a block protector. The clutch exploded with such violence that it literally tore the back off the engine and the front off the transmission. So much for the block protector.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Not just a flywheel issue but clutch too.

"Wide open second gear burnout, hit third and the clutch grenaded."

99166d1358885856-my-clutch-explosion-20130121_135603-jpg

99165d1358885856-my-clutch-explosion-20130121_135737-jpg

"Now you know why the Racing Associations require a scatter shield with a manual transmission; and a "blanket" around the automatics. That is not as uncommon as you might think. Just be thankful it didn't take your foot/feet off. I have actually witnessed a bad one when I was younger - a friend lost his right leg just above the ankle from just such an occurrence."

http://forums.corral.net/forums/94-95-tech/1404258-my-clutch-explosion.html

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Not just a flywheel issue but clutch too.

"Wide open second gear burnout, hit third and the clutch grenaded."

99166d1358885856-my-clutch-explosion-20130121_135603-jpg

99165d1358885856-my-clutch-explosion-20130121_135737-jpg

"Now you know why the Racing Associations require a scatter shield with a manual transmission; and a "blanket" around the automatics. That is not as uncommon as you might think. Just be thankful it didn't take your foot/feet off. I have actually witnessed a bad one when I was younger - a friend lost his right leg just above the ankle from just such an occurrence."

http://forums.corral.net/forums/94-95-tech/1404258-my-clutch-explosion.html

Duke
Can't really see the pictures without joining the site.....
If you are drag racing then sure you need to follow the rules and install a blow proof bell housing. Be careful tho cause these after market bell housings require that you index the housing to the crank and use offset bushings to bring into spec. failure to do that will distroy your tranny !!! If you buy top of the line flywheels and clutches these days and intend to just drive on the street you really don't need a scatter shield and besides it's just another little
ding away from originality that will cost you points at a concours. I have owned many high performance cars with twice the horse power of my 375 hp 302 and have never had a problem with a failure of any kind and yes they had
blow proof bell housings !! Tigers are very light so you would have to spin the motor past 10 grand to grenaide the stuff......not likely to happen with these small blocks...

Moondoggie

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I got to say that unless you are really hammering the car all the time you wouldnt expect such a failure.. not saying that it cant happen.. but you would have to be issuing some fairly serious abuse on the car for it to happen.

Duke, you have a line lock, have seen your youtube burnout clips and 1/4 runs.. most people even with strokers are not going to punish the car like that. If you are going to sit there bagging the rears or doing flat shifts down a 1/4 then sure.. but most guys are rarely going to see more than 5000rpm.. and even then probably not that often.

if you are going to race/drag the car.. sure you should do it... then again there are guys who track the cars and probably dont even need it as they are going to keep on the safe side of rpm so they can drive home.

Do what is appropriate for the use.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Be careful tho cause these after market bell housings require that you index the housing to the crank and use offset bushings to bring into spec. failure to do that will destroy your tranny !!!

Yes you do and it is a simple procedure.

002-4.jpg

003-3.jpg

005-10.jpg

most people even with strokers are not going to punish the car like that. If you are going to sit there bagging the rears or doing flat shifts down a 1/4 then sure.. but most guys are rarely going to see more than 5000rpm.. and even then probably not that often.

if you are going to race/drag the car.. sure you should do it... then again there are guys who track the cars and probably dont even need it as they are going to keep on the safe side of rpm so they can drive home.

I certainly would not call it punishment. I built the car for that. The engine along with the flywheel and clutch installed was balanced. I have index marks for where the flywheel meets the crank and the clutch pressure plate meets the flywheel to maintain that balance when R&Ring the parts. Many precautions were taken for a perfectly balanced 347. My rev limiter is set at 6200 rpm. I also drive my car to and from the drag strip.

"Probably don't need"...."not likely to happen"......well guys, I am 100% sure that I, my passenger and the Tiger are protected if in the wildest of chances it happens.

Last edited:

Warren

Gold forum user
Oil Leak

My car has had the oil leak for some time. It also has hatchet like tears in the tunnel. Probably from the Cat a stropic event you mention.

So how does the wetness cause the clutch to explode?

Maybe a good reason not to auto cross a old install?

Bryan

Gold forum user
CAT Member
this is what happens when pilots think when they use tools.

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
To put this thread back on topic (ironic, as I frequently divert them myself), is the QT unit the only one ready made for the 5-bolt 289 + toploader? Thanks.