Learning about Tigers

Doug C

Gold forum user
If you were to want to educate yourself about Tigers (car not the animal) what books would you want to read?

Cheers and appreciate your comments - Doug

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A good start would be "Tiger, the making of a sports car" by Mike Taylor- it tells the story from the other side of the pond. Also, "Tiger- an exceptional motorcar" by Bill Carroll, is a good perspective from somebody who was on the L.A. Tiger scene from the start. Bill's book has a few inaccuracies, as does probably everybody whose written about the Tiger, but these 2 books would get you going. The Tiger Bible, "The Book Of Norman", is no longer in print and hard to find, but is the definitive resource for details on our cars. Happy reading! Kirk

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Electronic Media

Doug

I know you asked about "books" but if you have not done so already, I would add a number of websites.

http://www.tigersunited.com/

http://rootes1.com/

The Tiger United Site has digital versions of the Workshop & Parts Manuals as well as many other historical & technical Articles

Rootes1 is the website of Norm Miller, the author of the Book of Norman. On his site he also provides interesting facts and history about the marque.

As you progress in your reading, by all means post questions. I am confident you will get answers in a timely fashion.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Additional Information

Doug,

Another way is to talk with fellow Tiger owners at club meetings or wherever Tigers might gather. This also gives you a chance to see how something might have been done on a Tiger, if you have questions about construction or assembly.

All sources (even the Book of Norman) might have some inaccuracies, but the more sources you refer to, the more accurate your knowledge will become. And many of these fine sources, as has already been pointed out by VaCat33, post here on the Forum and love to share their knowledge of these remarkable machines!

David

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
"Sunbeam Alpine and Tiger--the complete story" by Graham Robson is another good read.

Warren

Gold forum user
CAT

Shop Notes and peruse the team Tiger archives . Facebook bah humbug...

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
"Sunbeam Alpine and Tiger--the complete story" by Graham Robson is another good read.

The problem with reading this book is telling the fact from the fiction.

Many of the factual errors on Wiki's Tiger article have this book as their footnoted source.

bt
at the beach

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Facts vs Fiction

The problem with reading this book is telling the fact from the fiction.

Many of the factual errors on Wiki's Tiger article have this book as their footnoted source.

bt
at the beach

Like any old war story, all a vet needs do is outlive anyone who really knows the facts from a good yarn (or three).

Doug C

Gold forum user
Thanks to everyone who has posted and helped me with my search of reading material.

I live by the old adage "his, hers and the truth", this applies to the books written about cars (not only Tigers) as everybody has an opinion. And those opinions may have been correct (accurate) at the time the books were written but as time goes by more facts are learned.

I have purchased "tiger, an Exceptional Sports Car, Tiger, the making of an sports car, Sunbeam Alpine and Tiger (The Complete Story) all at reasonable prices and boy to they vary. Lastly I was "LOANED" a copy of the Book of Norman which I have read and I will read it again - at the dismay of my family.

I would also like to thank those who have reached out to me live offering sound advice AND not once did someone try to sell me anything, just great advice.

Thanks again,

PS: And yes after all the reading and advice I still want a 1964 Tiger

D

dgraway

CAT forum

Another great resource that I read through is this forum. Sometimes it seems not much is going on but most of the questions you will think of have been asked multiple times over. Some times it took me 3 times reading through a post before the question sunk in and I understood the answers. I also would recommend getting one of the Sunbeam Tiger workshop manuals as another resource. Lastly if you come across any "Tiger Tales" newsletters they have history, quite a few how to do things with illustrations and pointers that can still apply.

Take your time and find the right car, rust is expensive šŸ˜ so avoid it if at all possible.

Good luck and be patient. My search took almost 2 years.
Dan

Doug C

Gold forum user
Thanks for the advice and I have been reading the past posts and will continue to do so. I am very patient and will not buy until it's the right one comes along. Part of the fun is the search and learning process. Fortunately I have another toy that keeps me busy.

Bottom line I'll keep looking for a 64 till I find the right one:) even a project without rust would be considered.

Doug C

Gold forum user
So far I've read

1 -Tiger, an Exceptional Sports Car,
2- the making of an sports car, Sunbeam Alpine and Tiger (The Complete Story)
3- Lastly I was "LOANED" a copy of the Book of Norman which I have read.

I most likely reread them again.

And again thanks to the CAT club for the encouragement, have a great holiday season. Doug

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
You are quite the speed reader Doug. Hopefully you got some good info on the marque and are armed with good knowledge when you start looking at cars. If I hear of any up north I will give you a holler.

Doug C

Gold forum user
You are quite the speed reader Doug. Hopefully you got some good info on the marque and are armed with good knowledge when you start looking at cars. If I hear of any up north I will give you a holler.

Latest book that I just started -Sunbeam Alpine and Tiger (The Complete Story) by Graham Robson.

This one will take a little longer as in December I am taking very few flights.

Cheers and Happy Holidays

Warren

Gold forum user
Bravo

It seems every day I like seeing this thread stuck as it is a grrrreat fix to a common Tiger forum problem. Along with Tiger 101 it welcomes the hunter and first time owner and shows them path to Tiger taming, whips and chairs not required. You may notice that it got shorter as our author was drifting to a "My Tigers Story." and the back stage crew has moved it.

Guys please feel free to list things and sources that helped you lean about Tigers. Bravo to all that have posted..

Doug C

Gold forum user
Warren thanks for the "new post" and to see what is coming to CA please follow Doug's Tiger

Cheers - Doug

cleandan

Silver forum user
Another read for you Doug.

Good afternoon Doug. I see you have a few good suggestions already.
One of my favorite fun Tiger reads is a somewhat new book (2007)
"The Works Tigers 1964 to 1966" by Graham Rood.
ISBN: 978-1-903088-39-5
I like this book because it has many period photos, drivers notes, builder notes,
tech drawings and specs, alignment specs and so on. Our modern Tiger market has very few true, pure stock, as delivered from the factory Tigers. Because of this I like to know what to look for in modifications, repairs and upgrades that are "correct and accepted" (read to mean things that work and are proven)
The works book is chock full of that kind of stuff.
It is also a fun read about how things went, things looked...and people looked at the time. Have a good day.

Doug C

Gold forum user
Most recent reading - The Works Tigers 1964 to 1966" by Graham Rood.

Haven't started but will on the flight to Portland this week.

Thanks for the suggestion