Fun project Expansion Tank repair

Warren

Gold forum user
This is my first expansion tank to take apart. My last car I was too big a wuss and just soldered on the out side. I got two others for my driver and a project car then happened on a dented tank with a missing overflow tub on ePay. After getting the tank home was a cake walk to split in half. Mark it well so you don't have to guess when re soldering:)
Working out the dents was easy too. Since the tanks are stamped drawn brass I did not pick and file away material and was very careful of over flattening and thinning out the brass. I used the same water based flux I use on copper repipes and some 50/50 I had laying about. Clean it twice and solder it once and its hard to use too much flux. I could have bought a Harbor Freight tester but the local Kragen loaned for free. Here is a pic of a laundry room invasion test site.Use soapy water for testing and be sure to plug hoses with something other then bolts. It was fun to fix now a coat of paint and on to the for sale swap section soon.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
expansion tank

Hi Warren, what kind of paint are you using on your expansion tank, I would be interested to know as I have paint mine at some point and have heard some paints adhear better to brass than others.
Cheers,
Brian

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
An Opinion

Hi Warren, what kind of paint are you using on your expansion tank, I would be interested to know as I have paint mine at some point and have heard some paints adhear better to brass than others.
Cheers,
Brian

SEM self-etch primer in black works great. Then you can cover it with anything yer in the mood for . . . . .FYI: Never use self-etch near anything else. It will "etch" everything including glass!

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
expansion tank paint

Hi Randy, thanks for the heads up on the paint, it's good to know about how it would etch everything!
Brian

Warren

Gold forum user
My job

On this tank it has had a chemical strip to remove paint. It has also had a fair amount of light sanding then several simple green cleanings then more for leak testing. Seen an Eastwood products and several others. Since this one was bought as a resale project and since it doesn't need any etching products as its clean as a whistle. I have had good luck on many of my old Fords did not require anything special. Preparation is always the key, sure it helps to stay away from some Home Depot brands formulated for California.

Both other cars have a clear coated polished tank waiting to be installed. My last car had a clear coat as I wanted to see where it would leak from next :)

I got lucky on 3 out of 4 as they seem to get stress fractures from guys putting a 22lb cap or otherwise over heating car.

Warren

Gold forum user
Hose

Cliff, I attached the bottom hose with a PVC cap I had laying around on big hose to radiator. On the smaller I used a plain old fuel line and a bolt but the threads on the bolt had seepage so switched to a smooth steel plug. Nice tight hose clamps simple green as soapy water and 30 minutes was enough at 26 lbs. just over pressured for 100% sure no leaks:D

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks, Recently attempted to have my tank powder coated (bad idea). They sand blasted it and put it in the oven, They quit when the tank began to drip solder. Now I have to check and repair if necessary so your info on testing is helpful. I 've had good luck with muggyweld.com. I was able to weld (solder really) a headlight peaked rim which had a break (crack) using their product. They have a product to solder brass with silver solder which looks workable (SSF-6, Silver Solder). This is a picture of the sand blasted tank. Actually looks pretty good as is.

Growler

Gold forum user
SEM self-etch primer in black works great. Then you can cover it with anything yer in the mood for . . . . .FYI:

Now don't laugh (at least not too hard) but I actually read the SEM instructions. It states that finish color is not recommended directly over self etching primer.... I don't know what you are supposed to use in between .... I do put the color directly over anyway .... Also, I have had very good results with Spray Max 2K spray paint. It is a 2 part in 1 can and you MUST wear a good respirator . Hot Rod Satin Black looks great (I just refinished (and rebuilt) my servo.

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
I cleaned mine up with POR15 marine clean- metal ready and sprayed it with POR 15, The same as you use on bare metal or light rust. It came up nicely and so far has not deteriorated, I did the same with the aluminium on the alternater and it has remained well stuck to the alloy too.

Tireguy

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
expansion tank

Warren
Let me know when you finish the project, I am looking for ena tank.
Glen

Warren

Gold forum user
Some time ago

The tanks are the next unobtainum part. There's a couple reasonable facsimiles out there but zip that's a stock substitute.
If you can find one look closely for stress fractures .

Warren

Gold forum user
As seen on Craigslist

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/pts/d/playa-del-rey-sunbeam-tiger-parts/6983804385.html

I'm not affiliated maybe someone can try to fix his tank rather that buying a new one as they are available now. I'm fixing a project one. Most of the work is elbow grease and paint remover cleaning splitting the two sections and soldering from the inside. Sure you could do it from the outside but its a lot stronger if done on the inside and easier to make pretty.