MK IA with modifications...

MT Roads

Silver forum user
1966 Sunbeam Tiger
S/N: B382000364 LRXFE

I am helping a friend who has decided it is time to sell the Tiger he has had for about 30 years. He has not been able to enjoy the car in recent years, so best to let someone else have a go. The car is a genuine Tiger, although it has not been TAC’d yet. The car is being brought out of storage by a local shop that is doing some fuel system work to clean and flush the tanks & lines.

Because this car has had some mechanical modifications, neither of us have a clear idea about what sort of value this may have in the market these days. Any suggestions or thoughts about the relative value of this car with these mods will be very welcome.

I only have a few recent pics now to post. I will be able to get more detailed pics of the car when the shop re-opens after the Holiday.

The owner prefers not to work with an eBay type situation, and would rather just work with interested individuals one-to-one. He is also more than ready to have the car TAC inspected at first opportunity. I know this car and there is no question that it is an original Tiger, and a solid car. Exhaust pass-throughs have been opened up for the 2-1/2” exhaust, and some reinforcement done to the front crossmember, but other than that the chassis is original.

Following is some information about the car & the work done on it.

This is a solid California car, with no known or visible rust. It has always been garage kept since being purchased by the present owner in the early 1980s.

A major mechanical rebuild was done in 1994. The car has been driven very little since then, and it has always been garage kept. A solid driving car, it lacks only paint and interior cosmetics that can be done to the taste of the next owner.

The dash is original, and a previous owner added a glove box door. There is no soft top, and the original upholstered door panels have been replaced with solid pieces.

A 5 speed transmission was added in the rebuild, and the original Toploader Transmission is included with the car.

The car is currently having the fuel tanks & lines cleaned & flushed prior to installing a new Fuel pump.

Following is a list of items renewed, replaced, upgraded or modified during the previous rebuild.

Trades are not encouraged.

ORIGINAL PARTS THAT ARE INCLUDED WITH THE CAR:

Tiger Radiator Expansion Tank
Tiger Air Cleaner Assembly
Chrome Valve [Rocker] covers
Dash & gauges.
Exception: The Tachometer was changed using a similar model Tach from an MGB that shows a higher Redline. This was a common mod in period.

Glove box door added, but not exact match.
Hardtop included, no soft top.

UPGRADES & MODIFICATIONS:

INTERIOR:

Grant GT Steering Wheel, 13”.
Replace orig seats with Seats from Mercury Capri.
Door Panels replaced, as seen in pics.
Rear shelf area carpeted.

MODIFICATIONS:

The following Modifications and conversions were performed during a Mechanical rebuild, completed in 1994.

ENGINE:

Boss 302 Block (with 4 bolt main bearing caps, Bored 0.040 over.)
The engine block was sonic tested by an NDT company in Paramount, CA, for bore thickness prior to boring it 0.040 over. It tested as being sound for boring 0.060 over.

The engine was assembled with ARP Studs rather than Head Bolts.

Boss 302 Crankshaft (forged)
Boss 302 Rods (forged)
Aries Aluminum Pistons
Boss 302 Windage Tray
TRW High Pressure Oil Pump

289 Ford Heads
These heads have been ported and polished as practiced in period, with 2.02” intake valves, 1.60 Exh.)
The heads have Screw-in Rocker studs

Rhoads Cam and hydraulic Lifters.

High Performance 289 Push Rods and Rockers

Edelbrock Aluminum Intake Manifold

4 bbl Carburetor, Holly 650 Double Pumper with Center Pivot Floats

K&N Air Filter

Ford Hi-Po Dual Point Distributor

MSD Blaster Coil

New Spark Plug Wires

Alternator Conversion

Engine compartment & under hood sprayed Satin Black.

TRANSMISSION & CLUTCH:

5 Speed Transmission from a V8 Mustang circa 198x. The 5 speed installed now is completely operational, drives & shifts well.

Original Toploader Transmission included with car.

Hurst short throw shifter

Ford Lightweight Flywheel.

McCloud Clutch, Pressure Plate, & Throwout Bearing.

Scattershield.

New Clutch Master and Slave Cylinders

FUEL SYSTEM:

New Electric Fuel Pump, currently being replaced.

New Hard Fuel Lines with Braided Stainless connector hoses.

EXHAUST SYSTEM:

C.A.T. Club Headers. Headers Coated with “Jet-Hot” type, aircraft quality by Cermatel.

All new 2 1/2” Exhaust System from the Headers back, over Axle, rear exit.

2 New Mufflers

BRAKE SYSTEM REBUILD:

Hard Brake lines Replaced with new lines.
Braided Stainless Hoses.

Cross Drilled Front Brake Rotors.

Brake Vacuum Booster Rebuilt.

New Brake Master Cylinder and Wheel Cylinders, rebuilt Calipers.

SUSPENSION & STEERING:

Steering Rack Rebuilt.

Additional Bracing to Front Crossmember and Frame.

1” Front Swaybar, C.A.T. Club Hollow Tube.

C.A.T. Club Traction Masters.

Four Spoke “Daisy” Aluminum Wheels, Period correct, 13 x 7”.

Tires look like new, with nearly full tread, but are about 20 years old.

OTHER:

New Clutch Master and Slave Cylinders.

C.A.T. Club Four Core radiator, cross flow.

Twin Electric Puller Fans (Thermostatically controlled off & on).

Remote Oil Filter (Relocated under fender, behind left headlight).

New Battery being installed, type info to be added later.

Thank you for the time to read all of this, and thanks for any comments or suggestions!

Jay

Last edited:

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Jay - nice car and great description. Prices are all over the board recently, I would say low to mid 30's..... maybe?? :confused:

Warren

Gold forum user
Car is ?

Located in Long Beach ? Nice details, hows she idle with those big valves.

MT Roads

Silver forum user
Thanks for the input guys, that does help.:):D

I should clarify that the car is not with me in Long Beach. It lives with the owner in the Santa Maria area of the Central Coast of California. It is now in a shop there for the fuel system work.

I have edited the posting to add that location information, as well as the following details.

While I believe the car could be reliably driven anywhere, the caveat is that although the tires have nearly full tread, they are about 20 years old.

The engine block was sonic tested by an NDT company in Paramount, CA, for bore thickness prior to boring it 0.040 over. It tested as being sound for boring 0.060 over. It was then assembled with ARP Studs rather than Head Bolts.

Assembly was done by Mike Partlow of Mike Partlow Racing Engines, which was his personal venture while he worked at JE Pistons. Mike was a friend and neighbor at the time in North Long Beach, and his presence will always be missed.

The balance of the mechanical fabrication and work was done at “Doc’s Hot Rod Welding” in North Long Beach, a shop that has been featured in car magazines for work on other custom projects.

I have listed the Wheels as "aluminum" rather than the slang "mag".

The Tachometer was changed to a similar unit from an MGB. This model has a face that shows a higher Redline. I believe that this is a mod that was practiced in period

Jay

leepear

Gold forum user
I always look at the vin tag of cars for sale. Get it TAC'd and it is worth somewhere below $40k so 30-40, buyer steals at 30 and seller wins at 40. Lee