Alpine V8 project start

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
You guys are good! And know your wheels too! I'm impressed!

Yes I am doing 5 bolt. I auto crossed Datsun 510's in college and always wanted libre wheels but could never afford them. I worked at an auto wrecker for a summer and discovered that the early 80's Dodge Challenger had the same bolt pattern and had nice looking aluminum wheels so I just went that route.
Now that I'm looking at wheels again, why not a 5-spoke libre?!?

Now I just gotta figure out how to get a 5-bolt hub on sunbeam spindles. I read somewhere that 98 and newer ford ranger hubs and rotors will go on.
More digging... more research.
Cheers! -Kevin

1fineAlpine

Silver forum user
5 lug

Hi Kevin,

I asked that question a few months ago. You're using an 8.8 rear end, right? I was told for the front, what a lot of guys did was welded the old 4 lug holes shut, and had the ford 5 lug pattern drilled in and put new studs in. That's the route I planned on going once I got to that point. There's prob other ways that someone else on here knows more about. Hope this helps.

-Kyle

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I picked up a Tiger front cross member/suspension recently and he was running Chevrolet wheels on his car--he converted the front hubs to 5 bolt.

zy611.jpg

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks Kyle and Bruce,
That looks like a viable way to go. I would fist have to see if that will work with larger calipers and double vented rotors. Since I am planning on a Ford 8.8 I thought it would be best to use a Ford front hub also. I haven't figured out the front brakes yet so perhaps that decision will drive the hubs, rack, wheel size/offset and probably a number of things I haven't thought of yet! I'm thinking about a Wilwood caliper and rotor setup - just not sure which to use with 15" wheels.
Cheers, -Kevin

Charlie_N

Bronze forum user
CAT Member

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Pedal shuffle...

I'm finishing up my project planning before I perform irreversible firewall surgery and truly commit to the V8 installation. One aspect I am hoping to get some advice on from people who have gone this road already is with respect to brake / clutch pedals and master cylinders. I have noticed that the Alpine clutch mount hole appears to be used for brakes on the Tiger and that the Tiger clutch should be a new mounting hole just outboard of the brake MC. I would appreciate any advice on how best to accomplish this and if there are any particular aspects that I should take note of or avoid. I'd prefer not to reinvent the wheel unnecessarily...

Thanks for any and all help!

-Kevin

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Clutch Plate Pieces

I'm finishing up my project planning before I perform irreversible firewall surgery and truly commit to the V8 installation. One aspect I am hoping to get some advice on from people who have gone this road already is with respect to brake / clutch pedals and master cylinders. I have noticed that the Alpine clutch mount hole appears to be used for brakes on the Tiger and that the Tiger clutch should be a new mounting hole just outboard of the brake MC. I would appreciate any advice on how best to accomplish this and if there are any particular aspects that I should take note of or avoid. I'd prefer not to reinvent the wheel unnecessarily...

Thanks for any and all help!

-Kevin

Hi: You will want the correct clutch plate firewall reenforcements and correct mapping for installation. PM me for details.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
start

randy,
have you reproduced the small tube that goes on the firewall for the top bolt for the clutch pedal?

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Rube & Golburger

randy,
have you reproduced the small tube that goes on the firewall for the top bolt for the clutch pedal?

Not really. We just snip off a chunk of black iron pipe and weld it in as needed. It also maps in a bit lower than the brake location.