Awakening a Girling Servo

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
What are the chances a Girling servo will work at all after sitting for 20 years? I'm attempting to get my MKI roadworthy after a 20 year sabbatical from running. Engine is now running strong and I am going through the hydraulics. This is not a restoration, I just want to be able to drive my Tiger on its 50th birthday which is fast approaching and I don't want to mess with the servo right now.
If I don't touch the servo and just bleed the system what are the chances it will work and what is the worst case scenario?
Alternatively, I could bypass the servo for now but I am having a bit of trouble finding fittings to do it simply. I ran without the servo for a short time years ago and it was not an issue so I don't mind doing it again.

Opinions?

Erich

Gold forum user
I would bypass it, to make sure you hit your deadline. I have been driving my tiger for several years with the booster out and the stock M/C. It takes a firm pedal but you can stop it well. You are not going to stop with an ankle flex, more of a full leg thrust but it does get the job done.

PITT40

Gold forum user
My Tiger sat for 44 years and the front brakes worked. The rear wheel cylinders were locked up. The clutch worked fine as well. I didn't drive it to know if the servo even worked or not. You can buy a union at any auto parts store. I recommend the same as mentioned previously.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Not Worth the Risk

I would be extremely suspicious of a 20-year-old brake servo. To me, it just is not worth the risk of using it for something as critical as brakes.

If you are having trouble getting the parts to make a bypass, CAT Parts has one listed in their list (E17) for their members. It's not a bad thing to carry around in your car, in case of emergencies.

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for the replies. The consensus is to bypass it. I got a short brake line and a couple of unions. The problem was the unions accepted the new brake line but the threads weren't deep enough for the existing Tiger lines. Thread and diameter are correct but They bottom out before the threads engage.
I'll see if I can find some deeper ones.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just From Experience

What are the chances a Girling servo will work at all after sitting for 20 years? I'm attempting to get my MKI roadworthy after a 20 year sabbatical from running. Engine is now running strong and I am going through the hydraulics. This is not a restoration, I just want to be able to drive my Tiger on its 50th birthday which is fast approaching and I don't want to mess with the servo right now.
If I don't touch the servo and just bleed the system what are the chances it will work and what is the worst case scenario?
Alternatively, I could bypass the servo for now but I am having a bit of trouble finding fittings to do it simply. I ran without the servo for a short time years ago and it was not an issue so I don't mind doing it again.

Opinions?

Ditto on the by-pass suggestions. I've rebuilt over 300 of the cute critters and sitting gives mother nature a corrosive edge. Seals will harden and allow fluids to leak into the vacuum chamber which ultimately end up in the manifold. Not healthy for rings & valves. FYI: Make darned sure the by-pass kit has the correct 3/8" X 24 threading. 2-cents

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bypass it is. The problem was the British Girling system uses a bubble flair, not the more common inverted flare used on American cars. I worked it out by machining a couple of custom unions that will accept both.
My Tiger will turn 50 this Thursday so I want to have her drivable by then and it looks like I am going to make it. I just have to bleed the system now and I should be ready to go.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
sunbeam specialties lists everything needed to bypass the booster including the unions.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
What are the chances a Girling servo will work at all after sitting for 20 years?

I had to laugh, what are the odds it will work after sitting all winter....haha.
I have only had 1 Tiger with a working servo, they stop just fine without them and in my opinion much safer since there is no chance now to fail in a panic stop.

PITT40

Gold forum user
sunbeam specialties lists everything needed to bypass the booster including the unions.

My local Autozone (China-Zone as I call it) had the unions. If don't mind bending the lines, one is enough. If you eventually want to put the servo back in, then you just need a short piece of brake line and 2 of them.

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I had to laugh, what are the odds it will work after sitting all winter....haha.
I have only had 1 Tiger with a working servo, they stop just fine without them and in my opinion much safer since there is no chance now to fail in a panic stop.

I think I knew what the answer would be. I just had to ask though...