Filled body line

tigresunbeam

Forum Member
My MkII his at a body shop for a paint refresh.
The body line are cracked around the trunk lid

Is the body line on a MKII should be filled. ( trunk area)

I have looked at many picture with no success.!!!

Clould Please help !!!

Thanks

Gilles

Attachments

• 20171101_113050.jpg
    20171101_113050.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 122

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yes

Gilles,

Yes, the body lines on either side near the trunk (boot) should be filled on a Mk II. I will try to get a photo and add later. Good luck with your paint job!

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
On all series alpine and mark of tiger the joint between the rear scuttle and wings are filled. The cars often have hairline cracking later due to the body twist.

Might be worth adding the fillet braces under the car between the rear legs and rear of the x brace which is basically a pivot joint in the uni body.

As a side note when we converted my fathers sivgt to a soft top we hade to remove the steel braces that go from the rear parcel shelf to the rear scuttle and wings. A year later the car had hairline cracks on the joints. After this i carefully paid attention to this area on cars when viewing them. I never saw a gt alpine with the issue.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Photo

Thanks it seems was filled with LEAD. ( Lead was craked !!!!!

Gilles

Gilles,

As promised, here is a photo of the left hand side of my Mk II, showing the area was filled in.

Without stiffening things up as Michael suggested, I am not sure of what else a person can do. I would think that plastic filler (Bondo) is more likely to crack than lead is.

Attachments

• 20171101_102042A.jpg
    20171101_102042A.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 106

tigresunbeam

Forum Member
Brace

Michael due a language Difference I don't realy understand what you mean by fillet brace ?? betwen the rear leg( any picture you can post or send me )thanks

Giiles Boudrias

On all series alpine and mark of tiger the joint between the rear scuttle and wings are filled. The cars often have hairline cracking later due to the body twist.

Might be worth adding the fillet braces under the car between the rear legs and rear of the x brace which is basically a pivot joint in the uni body.

As a side note when we converted my fathers sivgt to a soft top we hade to remove the steel braces that go from the rear parcel shelf to the rear scuttle and wings. A year later the car had hairline cracks on the joints. After this i carefully paid attention to this area on cars when viewing them. I never saw a gt alpine with the issue.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
crack line

The lead does crack but there is a solution to the problem. Doug Jennings has restored a couple of my cars and many for other folks. He has always had the bodies dipped and after that he removes the lead from the seams. These seams have only spot welds. Doug welds the panel joints solid which eliminates the flex and after a small amount of filler the cracking problem with the lead is gone. He also added welds to the X frame and other areas where flex could come into play.

Attachments

• 100_0800.jpg
    100_0800.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Michael due a language Difference I don't realy understand what you mean by fillet brace ?? betwen the rear leg( any picture you can post or send me )thanks

Giiles Boudrias

I dont have photos on me, but essentially you can make brackets that go from the rear of the x brace under the car to the point at which the rear 1/3 connects to the central section of the uni body, this braces the body and stiffens it from twisting. Id imagine its worse ( happens faster) in tigers due to the power and torque, but as alpines suffer the same issue it is essentially a design floor.

Mod tiger engineering who do the spring hanger braces may have offered them at one point ?