Air cleaner filter #?

PITT40

Gold forum user
What Fram or Purolator number is a suitable replacement for the stock air cleaner?

Warren

Gold forum user
Good ?

The only number published is a K & N. E-2859 if you have more room you can go with 2" filter E-3710

Last edited:

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Rick at SS sells the paper type filter but no one knows the part number. It's pretty cheap to buy.

chirodoc

Gold forum user
AIR FILTER

The CAT SHOP notes from the 70's lists a Fram 114, a Napa 2063, an air cleaner for a 60's early 70's Fords. It's circular that you mold into an oval.
A STOA shop notes listed a Pontiac 421 at AC A350C

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I looked up the Fram CA114 air filter--they say it also fits a 1966 GT350....I looked at mine--I don't think so but I will try and "oval" it around and see if it fits the Tiger air cleaner housing.

Warren

Gold forum user
Fram CA

Is no longer a valid number. A Mr Gasket 1480a is available its maybe 1/2 inch too big for stock AC Housing and it is 2" tall and 1" too big.

Last edited:

Warren

Gold forum user
New and Improved

So here is how it goes the K & N filters that I mention earlier both fit the AC Housing. If you want a cheapo paper filter the only one available is from Sunbeam Specialties it is a 1.5 element. As Bruce said there is no part number on S.S. item period. I have not seen it in person and do not know what color the gasket is so it's go to the biggest and best stocked auto parts store and spend time searching for one that fits. Call it job security putting no part number on a part.

I just installed a 2" K & N 3710 filter on my car and it fits with room to spare. Most guys due to a combination of manifold, carb., engine mount heights can't fit more that 1.5 filter and housing under the hood. No, K & N does not cross check to other filter types.
Here is the data on how they rate: Their numbers
E-2859: approx. (1.5in), 381CFM @ 1.5” of water ( stock replacement )

E-3710: approx. (2.0in), 508CFM @ 1.5” of water

My car has a 600 CFM on a 302 with moderate build so I am a little choked by even a 2" filter.

Given these numbers I would guess paper filters are somewhat lacking in flow for hi HP WOT use

New and Improved
I have a stock AC Housing reproduction that I was going to cut the bottom out of to increase flow keep stock look and be the new and improved model. A custom foam or paper element will line the bottom area of the are shaded in blue tape. The area increase is about equal to a 3/4 " gain The Duke has a 347 that everyone and has offered to swap filters around during his next Dyno test. But If Duke does not live up to a past threat to "use K & N filters for traction," :) We may get some real numbers on the what's hype and what's not.

I have put the whole project on hold mostly though as CAT parts will soon be selling the housings and the modification is low on my to do list, unless I get an assurance from Duke he won't drive over my nearly 50 dollar air cleaner:eek:

Most guys have a track filter and a car show filter, and prop open the hood when in race mode as well.

Pics added later,

Sorry, I know you just asked for a part number but I understand you are going 347 big but maybe want some original bits for show.

Last edited:

PITT40

Gold forum user
I got the original motor purring like a kitten and plan to drive it this summer with that. I'm assembling pieces for a 347 build to install next winter for 2016 and beyond.

So right now I'm just looking for a serviceable filter. I don't want a K&N because I don't want anything red in my engine compartment. Spectre makes blue K&N style filters but not the same size as the one that fits Tigers. So just wanted to find a paper one for now.

PITT40

Gold forum user
I have an old rusty HiPo 289 air cleaner hanging on my garage wall. It's acutally a Mr Gasket with a 14" diameter filter. On a whim I tried it and it fits perfectly in the AC housing. It's filter #1480A.

This has to be what SS sells if it's round and you have to force it to fit. If it's oval, I'm out of guesses.

Warren

Gold forum user
Me too

I bought a Mr Gasket 1480 A put in in AC stock filter housing it was a full 3/4 to 1" too big.
I returned it yesterday.

My last filter was a Summit oval on my MK1a
I custom made a filter from grey foam sheet from a motorcycle supply store.
I also had to cut down inner metal ... All this as 1/4 ich too tall.on that air filter housing.
Car came with a little Edlebrock triangle one.

PITT40

Gold forum user
Hmmm. I bought the 114 and it was too small at 13.5" diameter, which is what K&N says their filter is that you gave numbers for.

The 14" Mr Gasket was a tight fit, but fit perfectly for me. I emailed Accel Kool Blue to see if they make a 14" x 2". It's like a K&N but blue in color.

I bought a Mr Gasket 1480 A put in in AC stock filter housing it was a full 3/4 to 1" too big.
I returned it yesterday.

My last filter was a Summit oval on my MK1a
I custom made a filter from grey foam sheet from a motorcycle supply store.
I also had to cut down inner metal ... All this as 1/4 ich too tall.on that air filter housing.
Car came with a little Edlebrock triangle one.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Get on down to Autozone and buy ya a Purolator A50126. Fits the OEM housing perfect and my car runs low 12s with it installed. Next dyno will give me numbers with it installed.

Warren

Gold forum user
Still short on height

Dang I wanted a cheep filter but just gave up and bought the K & N, but I do like the look of a taller filter. Below is a cut and paste of the specs on it. Duke what about the math ? some of the rest says 2bbl applications up to a 302, but lots of Mustang II's had a 2bbl 302 . Do you have the room under your hood for a taller filter?

Cut n paste from a website.

Brand:pUROLATORPart Number(s):A50126ProductName:Air FilterLength Or Height:47.63 mm,1.875 inOutside Diameter Top:344.5 mm,13.563 inInside Diameter:287.35 mm,11.313 in
Cross Interchange Parts
Factory Number FORD D5ZF9601AA FORD D5ZZ9601AA FRAM CA3371 MOTORCRAFT FA605 WIX FILTERS 42079 BALDWIN PA2062

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
FWIW,
I have the repop AC filter with SS 'upgraded' filter. Rick told me it was made by a small company whose employees previously worked for K&N. It's a few more $ but not a whole bunch, and just a little taller than the paper one. Fits fine with a little extra under my not-so-straight front end under a LAT bonnet. Pictures available on request..(schedule permitting!)
Cheers, -Kevin

PITT40

Gold forum user
I bought the Mr Gasket 1480A filter and it fit the housing but was too tall. I never checked hood clearance with old one that I had (doh!). I also have a 1/2" phenolic spacer between the intake and carb on my Offenhouser dual plane manifold. I may need to remove that and get the filter Duke suggested. However both Autozone and Advance told me that Purolator number Duke gives is now obsolete.