Is it common to snap the rear u bolt studs?

PITT40

Gold forum user
Only 3 of the 8 nuts came off. The rest twisted off when I tried to break them loose. Is this common?

Are the correct U bolts hard to find? What do they interchange with?

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If you get in this scenario again, try a product called Aerokroil. Antique airplane guys swear by it. I have had amazing results myself. Let it soak 24 hours. It's amazing stuff. I have also used Mouse Milk. In a pinch, brake fluid is also good - but might screw up your paint...

I just got some u-bolts from summit. I haven't mounted them yet but will let you know how they fit.

Cheers! -Kevin

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Any shop that does leaf spring work should have the machine to make new u-bolts in just about any size/length that you want and it shouldn't be that much $$ . If you're considering lowering blocks, you might need some a little longer anyway

As far as penetrating oil...there are tests posted all over the 'net with results like this...

Nothing = 516 ft. lbs.
WD-40 = 238 ft. lbs.
PB Blaster = 214 ft. lbs.
Liquid Wrench = 127 ft. lbs.
Kano Kroil = 106 ft. lbs.
50/50 blend of ATF and Acetone = 50 ft. lbs.

I took a rusty old TR3A completely apart last year and now understand why they are called the 'Meccano set' car!!! Never seen so many bolts! :eek:
I decided to try the acetone/ATF combo and am now a believer :D
The acetone evaporates fairly quickly though so don't mix a lot at a time and keep in mind it's very flammable! My 2 cents

Jim
B382ooo446

PITT40

Gold forum user
I used Liquid Wrench and squirted in on 24hrs in advance. Oh well, no biggie.

Exactly how are u bolts sized? Center to center from threaded ends?

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I just bought this from Summit Racing.

Pro Comp Replacement U-Bolts 50070

The radius looks about right but the threaded diameter might be too big. I won't get to installing them for a few weeks I'm guessing...

There was a thread a few weeks ago about bolt size. I'll try to dig it up.

-Kevin

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Update...

I discovered the diameter of the pro-comp product was too large and wound up with a different part that was the correct 7/16" diameter and much less expensive. I used a Dorman product part number 660-103. size 7/16" x 6-1/2" x 2-1/2". With the LAT style traction master mounted below the spring perch, there is an excess 1-1/4" of threaded area.

Hope this helps!

Cheers, -Kevin

packardv8

Bronze forum user
Only 3 of the 8 nuts came off. The rest twisted off when I tried to break them loose. Is this common?

Yes, in the road salt and humidity-plagued eastern half. Not so much in the dryer parts of the west.

Before applying the magic juice, use a small wire wheel in a grinder or drill to remove as much surface rust as possible.

If visually inspection sees its really rusted, after cleaning, I run a thread chasing tap over the threads, also apply heat with a propane torch, let cool enough to touch and then apply the penetrant.

Bottom line - new U-bolts are so dirt cheap, that much work to save the old ones, maybe not worth it.

jack vines