Visiting the Archive Area

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I've repeatedly been asked for details about visiting the Rootes Archive as well as for hints about touring the neighboring area. I intend this tread to be a place where questions about visiting the local area can be asked and discussed.

The Archive's new location is in Wroxton, a small but charming village a few miles west of Banbury. Many of Wroxton's homes feature picturesque thatched roofs atop walls of honey colored ironstone, .

Wroxton is surrounded by many interesting places to explore. Within about a half hour are Oxford, Blenheim Palace (home to the Spencer-Churchill family), Banbury, Gaydon, Silverstone, Coventry, the scenic rolling hills of the Cotswolds and Stratford on Avon.

Travelers arriving at Heathrow bound for the Banbury area can take a bus or trains to the Banbury station followed by a taxi to their hotel. (The Wroxton House Hotel in Wroxton is walking distance to the Archive.) Bus or train tickets can be purchased in advance with a round trip costing a little over £50 per person. A taxi from Heathrow to Wroxton costs a little over £90 each way but can carry several passengers.

Last fall Charlie Ockels accompanied my wife and myself on a visit to Wroxton. He reported his experiences in STOA's Tiger Tracks. (see below)

Attachments

• Tiger Tracks - Jan Feb 2018 - Rootes Archive Article small.pdf
    804.2 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Touring Suggestions from Trustee Andy Bye

Andy Bye is one of the Rootes Archive Centre Archive Trustees. He's a "local" living near the Archive and has compiled s short list of places to visit in the area.

Oxford Colleges and an excellent bus tour of the city

Stratford upon Avon Shakespeare's birth place and associated properties Royal Shakespeare Theatre The River Good bus tour of area

Warwick Warwick Castle is excellent. ST Mary's church

Coventry Cathedral, Motor Museum

Gaydon Motor Museum

2miles from Wroxton : Upton House National Trust Stately Home. (Postcode OX15 6HT)

Most of these can be accessed by train from Banbury (with Blenheim and Upton House being the exceptions).

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Touring Archive and the surrounding area

In the last few months a number of CAT members have independently visited the Archive and toured the surrounding area, sometimes singly, or as a couple and or with the family.

The list includes Mark Theroux, Bill Brown, Mike Michels, Steve Hoffman as well as Claudia and myself. I'm thinking about returning to do some volunteer work at the Archive in October (when the round trip flights from LAX to Heathrow are well less than $600).

If any want to pick our brains, feel free to call or email (contact information is in the roster).

Last edited: