Floor pan/tunnel question - yikes!!

66Mk1A

New forum user
CAT Member
Hi, I am working on my Mk1A and just pulled all the floor matting material back in prep for some dynamat and new mat before carpet goes in. I discovered something that I hope the forum can help me with....
On the trans/shaft tunnel, pass side where it meets the horizontal floor, it looks a bit stretched out and deformed, and actually overhangs outboard a little. Is this normal, or were things banged a little wider to accomodate the new tiger driveshaft? It bulges a bit from the inside of the tunnel, toward the passenger door - it will probably never be seen, covered by carpet - but I am not sure if I should try to straighten it out with a porta power. The rest of the underbody and floor looks great, no sign of crash damage or torque twist.
Thank you!!

CT Tiger

Silver forum user
Mine is the same way , bulges out about 1" or better towards the pass door . Just chalked it up to the po or its racing days , but now you have me wondering .

Maliburevue

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Battle of the Bulge

Mine has the exact same bulge and was never raced or modified by the PO who owned the car since 1967 and drove like Casper Milktoast. I noticed that 13 years ago when I was stripping and sealing my floors during the restoration.

You can see it in the first picture on the right side of the trans tunnel on the passenger side (looking forward), but not left side of the trans tunnel on the driver side. Nice interior, uh?

Gary

Vinreeb

Silver forum user
Leave i or rework it?

Hi guys,
now you got me wondering!
I have got exatly the same buldge too.
I always thougt some stupid pre-owner hammered the tranny against the tunnel when puting the engine in place.
I wonder now if this really is a mistake or if it ist "Jensen-Made" we all know their quality workmanship...:D

Shall I leave i as it is or shall i dress it up?:cool:

Greeings from Germany,
Thibaut

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Rootes opted to use one length rear axle for both the right and left sides instead of a slightly longer one on the right. The result of their decision is that the pinion is offset to the passenger side.

If you have the drive shaft parallel to the car's center line there is less clearance for the front U-joint on the passenger side. (Dan Walters took advantage of this spacing when he designed his torque arms to mount on the driver's side.)

A few years ago we had some rear end work done and the shop installed a shorter pinion flange without telling us. This pulled the u-joint out about an inch more than normal. It had "self clearanced" itself before the test drive was over. The U-joint is a heck of a lot tougher than the tunnel's sheet metal.

bt

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Ditto Ditto

Rootes opted to use one length rear axle for both the right and left sides instead of a slightly longer one on the right. The result of their decision is that the pinion is offset to the passenger side.

If you have the drive shaft parallel to the car's center line there is less clearance for the front U-joint on the passenger side. (Dan Walters took advantage of this spacing when he designed his torque arms to mount on the driver's side.)

A few years ago we had some rear end work done and the shop installed a shorter pinion flange without telling us. This pulled the u-joint out about an inch more than normal. It had "self clearanced" itself before the test drive was over. The U-joint is a heck of a lot tougher than the tunnel's sheet metal.

bt

About 2/3's of our restorations show "self-clearancing" events as years of torque & worn mounts throw things around. It really gets dicey when a panhard bar breaks loose or the D-side motor mount unglues.