B382002037 LRXFE's story

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
I found it on ebay. It was located in New Hampshire. I had been looking for a Tiger for about nine months at the time and saw many Tigers sell on ebay that were of dubious condition and with questionable authenticity. The pictures looked good with no rust evident, a rarity in the N.E.

I called the sellers (number was in the auction description) and got the VIN and JAL numbers. With them, I called Norman Miller to get the skinny. He assured me that all of the car numbers were correct and it looked to be the real deal.

I called the sellers back, we agreed on a price and I then sent them a deposit in order for them to end the auction. A flight to see the car was necessary and one of the sellers picked me up at the airport and drove me to his shop. The car was clean and positioned on a lift where I could do a good examination.

It was in excellent shape with no rust! The story goes that it has been off the road since 1972 and that four different guys had bought/sold and worked on restoring (very lose term) the car over the years. These four individuals all lived within a 40 mile radius.

I asked Randy Willett to meet me at the shop as I wanted his opinion of the car. He gave me the head nod as to the authenticity of the car in his opinion.

During this inspection, the sellers kept letting me know that I could step out of the agreement if I wanted. With some pressing I found out that after the ended the auction early, they received several phone calls from angry people who had wanted to bid on the car. They knew that the selling price was low but stayed with our agreement.

I had the Tiger shipped in an enclosed car hauler from NH to Kansas. On the day that the car was supposed to be delivered, I got a phone call from the shipper. “Sir, something happened to your car in route”. They loaded an AMC Javelin with no engine or brakes behind mine. In the process, it got away from them and smashed into the back of the Tiger. ~$3000 worth of damage occurred. The shipper dropped the car off with Greg Johnson (a metal sculptor and auto restorer) in Wichita, KS. Greg did fantastic work on the car and the damage was completely removed with just about no body filler used. The shipper paid the bill.

That was about 18 months ago. I have completely gone through the car and have had to correct and restore most of the “restored” car. It is finally now reliable and I just completed 1400 mile round trip to SUNI 5. The car also now sports TAC #739 too. Yep, it's the real deal.

I am also happy to say that this car received third place at the SUNI V Concours in the stock Tiger class.

Last edited by a moderator:

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Well...well...well...It's been a long time. How about an update.

Got the 260 running very nice with new valves, valve seats and other work. I estimate that the output was ~200 HP. Did lots of shows and won several awards. Pics here - http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1018046057052.2003363.1402147496&l=dd6bd9c564
n1402147496_30112168_1941.jpg

Then I was consumed by the HP dark force when I found a 347 short block on Craigs list. See the complete story here - http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1255824721370.2034409.1402147496&l=33c2567b45

The end result looks like this
208278_1664239691489_1402147496_31384936_6041616_n.jpg
005-7.jpg

My car now has over 420 HP and is just a joy to drive! I love to control a machine that would kill you if you let it. Any other military helicopter pilots out there know exactly what I mean.

DSCN4052.jpg

Last edited:

AHudson777

Silver forum user
Terrific looking car. I've got a weak spot for a clean engine bay.

Maybe a dumb question - but why are some Tiger motors black, and yet most Ford performance engines blue? My Pantera engine (351C) is Ford Dark blue. Did Sunbeam paint their motors differently? What's 'correct'?

johnnydarkgt350

Bronze forum user
engine colors

Adams i think i know? fords v8 engines were painted black up to 1965; then in 66 went a lighter blue; after that next blues got darker![68?
p.s I saw tiger exhaust pipes in 1969 from the front of my race prepared datsun 2000 and so now i have what beat me! a solid lifter 289 tiger!

AHudson777

Silver forum user
Adams i think i know? fords v8 engines were painted black up to 1965; then in 66 went a lighter blue; after that next blues got darker![68?
p.s I saw tiger exhaust pipes in 1969 from the front of my race prepared datsun 2000 and so now i have what beat me! a solid lifter 289 tiger!

Thanks! My Pantera is definitely the 'dark' blue, though not all that darn dark. Your years make sense.

OT: Is the solid lifter and cam too lumpy at idle for the Tiger?

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
OT: Is the solid lifter and cam too lumpy at idle for the Tiger?

No....it idles like a muscle car should. It has a Trick Flow stage II roller cam with roller lifters and roller rockers.

I can get the idle down to 600 rpm. I like it at 750.