California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum

Go Back   California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum > Tiger Technical - Personalized/Modified > Engine
New Threads

Old 10-09-2017, 07:55 AM
Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

How about a small cooling fan such as one for a computer ?
Old 10-09-2017, 08:43 AM
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Can you share any noticeable differences in fuel consumption between using a carb and the EFI setup? I'm wondering if theres a milage improvement of any kind.
Thanks! -Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger tamer View Post
Positives.
It's fun.
Easy tuning, clean hands Though it would be tuned better by a tuner.
I had a improved light and mid range power increase feel.
Easy cold starting and running.
Looks cool.

Negative.
The ECU let me down when we were 3 hours from home. We had to put it on the back of a breakdown truck to get it and us home. They said it failed due to heat but say you can mount it in the engine bay. I told them that i had it in the cockpit away from engine heat. In the end even though the warrenty had expired the did replace the ECU. I have taken it off the false floor and tied it up under the dash. Perhaps with headers behind the false floor there is to much heat there.
Would i do it again. If I have no more problems with the ECU I probably would.
1965 Mk1. B9470719. TAC#1069
1966 Mk1. B9471488.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:25 PM
Bronze Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Default Plus & Minus

So, the advantages appear to be initial self tuning, quick start and clean with no gas in carb bowl and no smell. May be more efficient so better milage, and possibly improved performance low and midrange.

Negatives are considerable modifications to fuel system and extra electronic components to install and maintain. More difficult to fix and repair when things go wrong, especially overtime (10-15 years from now). Performance gains may be subjective or minimal. Plus you're adding a high tech system to a classic car.

In 2004 I bought a new Harley and went with the new EFI. I did some modifications to the engine and had to buy software to use with a laptop to tune it. It has worked well enough, but now I am having second thought due to the fact the technology is now 13 years old. The software runs on Windows XT and try to find a laptop that will use that old software. I wonder if the EFI parts are still available? I plan to keep my Tiger a long time, so for these reasons I'll stick to a carb for now. But, we all pick and choose which mods to make if we're not sticking to stock. Cliff
Old 10-09-2017, 11:50 PM
Gold Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest39 View Post
Can you share any noticeable differences in fuel consumption between using a carb and the EFI setup? I'm wondering if theres a milage improvement of any kind.
Thanks! -Kevin
Kevin. No better fuel economy. Maybe using a litle more though saying that I think I was running on the lean side with the carb. I suppose if it was a bit on the rich side I would see an improvement.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:04 AM
Gold Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIFF_MK1 View Post
So, the advantages appear to be initial self tuning, quick start and clean with no gas in carb bowl and no smell. May be more efficient so better milage, and possibly improved performance low and midrange.

Negatives are considerable modifications to fuel system and extra electronic components to install and maintain. More difficult to fix and repair when things go wrong, especially overtime (10-15 years from now). Performance gains may be subjective or minimal. Plus you're adding a high tech system to a classic car.

In 2004 I bought a new Harley and went with the new EFI. I did some modifications to the engine and had to buy software to use with a laptop to tune it. It has worked well enough, but now I am having second thought due to the fact the technology is now 13 years old. The software runs on Windows XT and try to find a laptop that will use that old software. I wonder if the EFI parts are still available? I plan to keep my Tiger a long time, so for these reasons I'll stick to a carb for now. But, we all pick and choose which mods to make if we're not sticking to stock. Cliff
Perobably the biggest advantage is the easy inital tune and cold start. I have the hand held control to tune the system which is as far as I should go anyway. If you have a engine which has large cam then you may need to use the softwear and a lap top.
A well tuned carb will produce as much power as a efi system if you know hat you are doing. I had to turn the settings well down to recommened to get it to start when hot. It was dumping to much start up fuel in and flooding it when hot. I probably am at the lower end of the power recommendation for the system so it makes sence.