California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum

Go Back   California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum > Tiger Technical - Stock > Suspension
New Threads

Old 10-31-2017, 11:50 AM
Bronze Forum Member

Default Rebuild or replace ?

Looking thru the parts for sale, I see a fully rebuilt front suspension for sale $6500 ?

I am debating weather to rebuild my original or replace with a Dales ( $4300)

It cant possibly cost that much to rebuild, can it?

If I do choose to rebuild it, what am I looking at cost wise, and are all the parts available?

Thanks
Old 10-31-2017, 12:18 PM
Administrator
Member of C.A.T.

Default Test drive

I have never driven a car equipped with Dale's front end. I did drive Bud's Williams old car now owned by Rick J.
That car has a Hokanson version and it transforms the car making it feel like it's a car out of the 80's.
I told Dale when I was there last time that if he had someone with a stock car equipped with his front end for guys to test drive they'd be blowing out his doors as fast as he could get them made.
Cost is related to what's wrong with your stock front end.
I had a restorer remind me and say to me well you haven't actually had to press the bushing is in yourself have you? How can you talk about something you've never done. To which I replied I can't I've used a hydraulic press before on Transmissions but never had that wrestling match and don't envy someone having to do it for the first time. I think on all the postings I've read on this forum and on the tiger email list it's not a job for the timid and that is what I do know.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:16 PM
Unobtanium Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Cool DITTO and More DITTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I have never driven a car equipped with Dale's front end. I did drive Bud's Williams old car now owned by Rick J.
That car has a Hokanson version and it transforms the car making it feel like it's a car out of the 80's.
I told Dale when I was there last time that if he had someone with a stock car equipped with his front end for guys to test drive they'd be blowing out his doors as fast as he could get them made.
Cost is related to what's wrong with your stock front end.
I had a restorer remind me and say to me well you haven't actually had to press the bushing is in yourself have you? How can you talk about something you've never done. To which I replied I can't I've used a hydraulic press before on Transmissions but never had that wrestling match and don't envy someone having to do it for the first time. I think on all the postings I've read on this forum and on the tiger email list it's not a job for the timid and that is what I do know.
Thanks for the caution of self-pressing. The pile of wounded warriors out behind the shop displays the scars of many attempts by the inexperienced.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:50 PM
Unobtanium Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcollector View Post
Looking thru the parts for sale, I see a fully rebuilt front suspension for sale $6500 ?

I am debating weather to rebuild my original or replace with a Dales ( $4300)

It cant possibly cost that much to rebuild, can it?

If I do choose to rebuild it, what am I looking at cost wise, and are all the parts available?

Thanks
As others have mentioned some procedures are harder than others and can result in damage... Not just by owners but also shops inexperienced in sunbeams (same issue of lack of knowledge when shops try and press off hubs instead of using a puller..argh)

All parts are available and also uprated parts... As for price .. Is 4300 for dales front end all in and reday to bolt on?

As for value of the rebuilt front member.... I would suspect if yours is dimensionally not to bad or cracked you could rebuild it more economically even with some pro labor. It depends on what you want... If you want a stock unit to bolt straight in and go maybe it's an option.. But nk warranty with it....

Whats the current issues with your existing unit?

Michael King
1963 Alpine SII 1996>
1964 Tiger MKI 2009
1965 Alpine SIVGT 1994>
1965 Tiger MKI 2009-2012
1966 Tiger MKIA 2006>