Fact or fiction?

Warren

Gold forum user
Text below is pulled from a for sale ad on Craigslist in Washington State.
Is this an good way to get a Tiger lower in front?

Front suspension completely rebuilt with series 3 springs that are 1.5 inch shorter and higher spring rate.

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Not enough information to judge

Shorter springs will drop the front end and the higher spring rate may be just the right thing... But if nothing is done in back the handling may be ugly

Rick

PS "Admin" Warren this thread should be moved from stock to Personalized ; modified.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The series 3 springs are a good way of lowering the front of an alpine. Vb used to sell them at a reasonable cost. The issue is "alpine" they are designed for the wright of the 4cyl rootes motor... Not the ford v8 ... Inwould not think they are a good idea in a tiger......

Warren

Gold forum user
Good response

Thanks Michael .
Having driven converted 6 cylinder Ford's that had a V8 crammed in it I know the feeling of the extra weight on the front end . How many lbs are the Alpine springs anyway.
Don't worry I'm not going to take a torch to heat up my springs. ;)

I think I've demonstrated that I can move a thread or a couple 1000 of them.

If it turns out to be an old wife's tale or a unsubstantiated sales pitch as it came from a not so credible source I would choose to remove completely.
It's on Seattle Craigslist but I can't get link to copy correctly now.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Shorter springs will drop the front end and the higher spring rate may be just the right thing... But if nothing is done in back the handling may be ugly

Rick

PS "Admin" Warren this thread should be moved from stock to Personalized ; modified.

Yes, I was wondering myself what was STOCK about Alpine springs in a Tiger.

Warren

Gold forum user
Nobody's perfeckt

Thought I putt this in a differnt section, gues u git wot u pay fer wit a voluntier :rolleyes:
I know I was thinking that it may have a very short shelf life as it's probably seller puffing.
While we are at it can we use expiring redirects fellow Admins. as Duke had asked many moons ago, Kemosabe
BTW a top poster has only now started picking the right section after a couple of years ;)
Think I will listen to the Mrs and bump up the mag on the reading glasses as well.

Good comment on the rear needing attention if a change is made in the front. The other reason I ask is the to do list includes a strip down of a bash mobile SIII an SIV. I have never liked the idea of running without the spring buffers either. It seems in my current home it'd be a rusty mess in no time.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/d/1967-sunbeam-alpine/6419921687.html

Hoghead

Gold forum user
My car has had shorter (12 inch ??) 450 lb springs since it was a year or tow old

I am only now changing to drop spindles, lowered lower mount, and coil over shocks.
One can only wonder why........

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
I have 400lb front springs in my Tiger with rebuilt rear springs done to stock specs. I also have a MX5 steering rack and Minx spindles. I found driving the car after the 400lb springs fitted not particulary harsh at all. The only time I have any detrimental handling characteristics is when you hit a sharp bump in the road but that is normal when you increase the spring rate.. The shortness of the spring makes fitting and removel easy as I don't need to undo the fulcrum pins. The shortness of the spring dose'nt lower the front as they don't compress as much.
cheers mal

Maliburevue

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Springs and Spacers

I wanted a stiffer ride than stock, so I tried the 600 lbs springs. I found they were quite harsh on the street, so I went to 450 lbs springs as a compromise. To lower the front end I cut the 1" thick upper rubber spring spacer in half. This 1/2" reduction ~half way between the fulcrum pins and the wheel lowered the front end ~1". This kept some rubber isolation between the spring and perch, avoided cutting the springs to maintain the spring rate and travel, and added some stiffness, all while lowering the front end.

Spike

Attachments

• Side View.JPG
    Side View.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 203
  • Car Show.jpg
    Car Show.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 198
  • Tiger2.jpg
    Tiger2.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 208

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Gary, love the idea of the spring spacer trim...btw, couldn't help but notice the classic 'Westchester' house in the first picture- when I lived in Westchester with my first Tiger, I also ran Libre's and no front grill bar- must be a Westchester thing:)

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Gary, love the idea of the spring spacer trim...btw, couldn't help but notice the classic 'Westchester' house in the first picture- when I lived in Westchester with my first Tiger, I also ran Libre's and no front grill bar- must be a Westchester thing:)

Mustang ll spring pads will fit and are half the thickness of the Tiger so no trimming
Bought mine at Summit Racing

ahetzel

Gold forum user
Do you have a part number on the Mustang II spring pads? I checked Summit and didn't find anything.