Street shocks

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Defsailor,

I have the Edelbrock shocks made for the Tiger and got them from the Cat Warehouse. I have Dale A's 450 lb rated springs in the front. I have an unknown origin set of heavy duty rear leaf springs.

I think ride quality is really a personal thing which no two people may judge the same. Keep in mind that tire sidewall height is another variable in determining ultimate ride quality.

That said, I love the combination I have in the front. Very sports car like firmness and tracking but compliant (whatever that means) without being jolting. I believe the Edelbrocks may have some valving in them that makes them firmer after the initial deflection. So little ripples in the road are more gently absorbed. The Edelbrock web site had some good description of their makeup which hopefully is still available.

I hate the heavy duty springs I have in the back. They are three leafs and each leaf is about twice as thick as stock. When I ease over a speed bump, it feels like the rear end is solid mounted to the body. I think that is a result more of the springs than the shocks mounted. I also note that with a trunk full of luggage does make a difference.

Regarding the tires, I have a set of 15 inch wheels and a set of 16 inch wheels for the car. Overall wheel and tire diameter are the same for both sets. The taller sidewall on the 15's gives a noticeably softer ride.

Hope some of that helps.:)

Gene

defsailor

Bronze forum user
Gene, thanks for the feedback, I am running 205/50/15 front and 225/50/15 rear now, When the car comes back from painter I will powdercoat the Panasports and see if 60 series tires will clear, I agree that a taller tire will be a better ride. I'll start with that and see how it goes.
Duke, I don't need the ipod, I just turn the hearing aids down, works great!

FDubIrl

Bronze forum user
Hi all,

I am looking for quality replacement shocks for my Tiger.

The car is presently sitting slightly lowered with slightly heavier duty springs than stock. It’s on 14” wheels. It presently has a set of Spax shocks which are probably about 20 years old (but with very little use). The fronts are not easily adjusted “in situ” and I find that I like them at the soft end of the range for sedate use but I need them quite a bit harder when I start to push on. I was wondering if there is a more progressive shock available or perhaps there might be something available with remote adjustment (even bespoke?)

Any thoughts, observations, recommendations and links to current stockists would be greatly appreciated.

steven

Gold forum user
AS previously mentioned, the club Edelbrock set is made for the Tiger and work very well.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The edelbrock are a fixed ratio non adjustable iirc so not really what you are after.

Iirc the edelbrock set is at the firmer range from what ive heard.

ahetzel

Gold forum user
I have been running the Edelbrock shock for 3 years no. Fairly firm but compliant when needed over bumps and railroad tracks. Although not adjustable, they are an install it and forget it shock. No need that I see for making adjustments.

FDubIrl

Bronze forum user
Hello fellow Tiger owners.

Could I ask someone who has the Koni shocks to describe for me the method and ease of adjustment of the damper settings?

I understand that the front shock is adjusted with the use of a (supplied) plastic knob and is done at the top of the shock. Can it be done with the car on the ground, perhaps by simply turning the wheels to full lock? Perhaps one needs to jack up the car? Perhaps one needs to remove the wheel?

I'd not managed to get information on the rear shock adjustment at all. So any information there would be appreciated.

Also, I'm trying to figure out the extent to which my car has been lowered. Does anyone know the "standard" ride height and the correct place to measure?

Any help appreciated.

FDubIrl

Bronze forum user
So I went ahead and installed the Koni shocks ...

Attachments

• Koni and Spax Front Shock Tiger.JPG
    Koni and Spax Front Shock Tiger.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 155
  • Koni and Spax Rear Shock Tiger.JPG
    Koni and Spax Rear Shock Tiger.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 158

FDubIrl

Bronze forum user
They are clearly of high quality construction and are certainly considerably more beefy than the Spax units which came out. I think the piston rod measured 16mm against the Spax 12mm so 33% thicker. The bodies are significantly larger as per the photograph.

Installation was straightforward

Adjustment is done by popping on a little plastic "key" to the top of the piston rod and turning. I haven't actually done it yet, but one should be able to adjust the fronts by simply turning the wheels to full lock and reaching into the wheel well. The rear adjusters are also quite easily accessed (under the folded hood and removing the rubber grommets).

As my car is somewhat lowered and firm, and has quite limited suspension travel, I wasn’t expecting too much from this update. I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was a very definite improvement in ride quality and comfort.

I will be returning the car to something closer to OEM ride height settings before too long and I look forward, then, to the full benefits of the quality and adjustment afforded by these Koni shocks. In the meantime I am very pleased with the results I have obtained at this stage.

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Koni PN?

FDub, thanks for the report. For the purpose of keeping track of any changes... can you please document the part numbers of the Koni's that you've installed? Also, bushings were same/correct INner Diameter?

I'm on old Period konis, but I think it's time to go new... sooner rather than later.

Thanks,
Derek

FDubIrl

Bronze forum user
Hi Derek,

The Koni part numbers are...

Front 8210 1163
Rear 8210 1164

I bought from ClassicSunbeam.com. They list them as SA 122 and SA 124.

In my case it was plug and play. Everything fit perfectly, no mods or difficulty at all.

I can confirm also that front adjustment “on the fly” is easy. Takes maybe 60 seconds per side. Just turn the front wheels to full lock and reach in, position the adjustment key, and turn.

stevenl

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Concur in part

I have KYB shocks on the Black Tiger. Low pressure gas shock available Tiger specific.

Koni shocks on TigerBlue are great on the track and all around and I have found them durable but they are pricey. The fronts were installed by PO. (15? years ago)

Rick
Can you give me the specifics, model number, of those low pressure tiger Bell KYB?

Warren

Gold forum user
Rick AKA Tigerblue has sold on the Black car to another member Steve W.
Have contact info if needed.