Route 66 Cruise This Weekend!

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Join a small group of Tigers cruising on Historic Route 66 from Barstow to Williams, AZ. The weather forecast looks great. Clear, no rain. 85 high Barstow, 89 degree high in Needles with 65 high in Williams/Grand Canyon.

Route 66 CAT-I 2010 Columbus Day Weekend, October 9-10 2010

Historic Route 66 across the California desert and in western Arizona features some of the best preserved segments of the “Mother Road”. We’re putting together a group of Tigers to explore it with a CATi over this year’s Columbus Day Weekend.

The trip can be done in a normal two day weekend, while some will choose to take three or four days. We’re setting this up “Cafeteria Style”. The idea is a flexible event where each driver can tailor to his or her individual preferences.

We’ll meet in Barstow on Saturday morning at the Bob's Big Boy where we’ll review maps and descriptions of Route 66 attractions we can visit along the way. Then east on Historic Route 66 (also called the National Trails Highway). Each driver will choose the exact route as well as particular stops along the way. Saturday night we’ll all meet in Williams, AZ for a dinner party at the Cruiser's Cafe. Most will probably spend the night in Williams.

On Sunday, some will return home on I-40 (5 hours). Others will choose to day trip. (See below)

On Monday most of the group will return but die hards might want an additional day trip.

Anyone who is interested in participating should contact me as soon possible.

Buck Trippel

Friday 10/8 Optional stay night in Rialto at Tee Pee Motel or in Barstow

Saturday 10/9 Official start: Meet at 8AM at Bob;s Big Boy.
Head east on Historic 66 or I40, Stopping wherever you shoose.
Get together for a dinner party in a restaurant in Williams (where we’ll spend the night).

Sunday 10/10 Day Trip or Head home (5 hours on I40 to San Bernardino)
Possible Day Trips include:
1) Grand Canyon via train
2) Grand Canyon in Tiger, exit east entrance, Flagstaff
3) Continue east on Historic 66 through Meteor Crater, Winslow, Holbrook to the Petrified Forest (220 miles?)

Monday 10/11 Head home or another Day Trip

The following link is has some rough maps of the trip plus links to places of interest along Historic 66. http://www.catmbr.org/temp/CAT-I_Rt66.pdf

Last edited: