B9473720 LROFE

segrave

Gold forum user
Staff member
CAT Member
The car I now own was built 7/7/65. It is one of the Tigers that Sunbeam built for sale in left hand drive European countries. From what I have been able to gather it remains unknown exactly how many such cars were built or why Rootes felt it was necessary to give them a different chassis number designation than the cars built LH drive for export to the USA. These cars sold in France and Germany were given the designation of LROFE rather than the standard LH American chassis LRXFE. There was a copyright conflict at the time in France and Germany that prevented Sunbeam from using the Tiger name on cars sold there. These cars were sold wearing Alpine script on the wings with badges that called them Alpine 260. As I write this Norm Miller tells me there are currently 52 known LROFE cars in the registry with 10 in the US. The designation Alpine 260 or Alpine V8 lasted through Mk1 Mk1a and Mk2 cars. French cars also had their chassis numbers stamped into the ridge at the firewall top. Since mine does not have that stamp I assume it was originally sold in Germany but have been unable to determine that for sure. More info on the LRO Alpine 260 cars can be found online at....

http://www.sunbeamtiger.co.uk/catswh...8alpine260.htm

I am the third owner as far as I can tell. I have Oklahoma registration dated 7/1/74 which was the day owner #2 bought the car from a used car lot in Oklahoma City. Prior to that I have a receipt dated 6/7/74 when a Steven Branch registered the car in Oklahoma listing his address as “761st AF band @ Sheppard AF Base Texas” That form stated that the car entered the USA via “Military, GHK-364 Texas” It would stand to reason that Steve Branch was the original owner and brought the car home with him from his overseas assignment as that seems to be how most of the LROFE cars got here. I have been unable to locate Mr Branch, I will probably never know for sure.

I purchased the car on 8/17/2008 in Oklahoma City. It had been well cared for and remained close to factory original. It’s last paint job was in 1974 when it also got an engine rebuild. It lost it’s original engine block in an exchange but still has a 260. It’s gearbox and rear end and original key serial numbers match the build info in Book of Norman Vol 1. The car is one of the highest numbered Mk1's which end at 3763. It has many Mk1a features such as unleaded seams and square cornered bonnet and doors. I have been slowly removing the small changes made by owner #2 to bring the car back toward factory stock. I am still uncertain if I will change the wing scripts from the current Tiger back to the more proper Alpine but I won’t make that decision till it gets it’s next paint job. The car passed TAC inspection in November 2008 and was assigned number 695.

Last edited: