The Harrington

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
An interesting project showed up a while back. A very wounded Harrington Le Mans. It had been hard sand blasted to show all the sins. Mother Nature had removed much structural metal and what was still there showed sever historical damage and more patches then Huck Finn's britches. We are slowly stitching the critter back together with emphasis on trying to hold it in the correct shape while hacking & welding. Our appreciation to the owner for this rescue of history. More later as progress allows. View attachment 6876

View attachment 6877

View attachment 6878

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Nice to Hear

It's always nice to hear about an owner taking the effort to bring back some car like this. It's a car that is somewhat rare and is not well-known or popular. But I think these are beautiful cars and I hope the owner gets many years of enjoyment once he gets his car back.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Those cars are beautiful when done, good to see someone bringing one back from the dead. Keep us posted with your repairs. Are you fabricating all new parts or using a donor car?

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Fabrication Station

Those cars are beautiful when done, good to see someone bringing one back from the dead. Keep us posted with your repairs. Are you fabricating all new parts or using a donor car?

Fabrication of the structural issues is tedious. Garbage is cut out and patterns get made which are transferred to metal. New tin gets shaped & fitted as original. The object is for the finished project to appear as if we were never in there (maybe). The façade metal will be much easier than structural fitting.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
harrington

randy,
he called me a few minutes ago concerning another matter and was telling me about the damage including that rear damage. that front inner fender section looks great. that should make his day.

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Randy, that's a seriously Swiss cheesed car... Glad you are on the case. What's the eta on the project... Or the more you dig the more you find and the longer its taking?

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
harrington

randy,
didn't I hear someone say it would be repaired and painted when he gets home from florida !!!!!!

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
ETA Some Day

Randy, that's a seriously Swiss cheesed car... Glad you are on the case. What's the eta on the project... Or the more you dig the more you find and the longer its taking?

Yup: At this point we keep finding stuff that needs attention. For morale sake, I limit the guys to small areas of victory so we avoid project burn-out. If you stare at the entire mess first thing in the morning, it can set an ugly mood. I'm lucky in having a good group of gearheads to play with. Each day brings things a little closer to nice. . . . . .

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Them Best-Laid Plans ?

randy,
didn't I hear someone say it would be repaired and painted when he gets home from florida !!!!!!

The car is not cooperating with any desired schedule as yet. OR, we could just weld on some bandaids and open 3 gallons of bondo. But, that is not what the gentleman hauled the little critter here for.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
harrington

randy,
I know where you're coming from. I was offered this car maybe 10 years before the owner died. the wife said pass. when I walk into this owner's shop and look at his cars all neatly lined up I understand his "I want it right attitude". many years of having his company build all sizes of fuel and lube trucks for me convinced me of that. he knows you can do it right.

Last edited:

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A Little Progress

randy,
I know where you're coming from. I was offered this car maybe 10 years before the owner died. the wife said pass. when I walk into this owner's shop and look at his cars all neatly lined up I understand his "I want it right attitude". many years of having his company build all sizes of fuel and lube trucks for me convinced me of that. he knows you can do it right.

OK: Here's a nice new rocker covering the now re-enforced inner sill and pinch weld. Followed by a chunk of rot to be continued . . . . .

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
harrington

randy,
he was telling me about the purple color on that rear panel. that appears to be an inside panel. is it paint???

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Crumbled

randy,
he was telling me about the purple color on that rear panel. that appears to be an inside panel. is it paint???

Nope, not paint as we know it. That's mother nature's patina. It's finger crumbling good . . . . . .

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A Beauty

randy,
here's a photo of a rust free LeMans body.

Looks like a lot more than we're working with. There are new photos from the old Guru's putterings when he ain't ice fishing. The rest of us are scattered to warmer climates for a spell.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
harrington

one local guy has a saying. "if it's rust free it's been totaled". this car has no rust but had a bunch of dents and waves to be worked out along with a new gel coat. as you can see it's been skimmed but not much being done since they also have a shop that repairs trucks. the weather has caused a lot of wrecked trucks to come thru the door.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Skimming

one local guy has a saying. "if it's rust free it's been totaled". this car has no rust but had a bunch of dents and waves to be worked out along with a new gel coat. as you can see it's been skimmed but not much being done since they also have a shop that repairs trucks. the weather has caused a lot of wrecked trucks to come thru the door.

Word came back thru the vine that the old Guru has dragged out the lead pot and flux. Must be he considers it worth the old school touch. I hope the bodywork guys get back from Daytona in time to learn a few things.

Last edited: