California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum

Go Back   California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum > Sunbeam Tiger > TU XXXIX May 2018, Santa Maria
New Threads

Old 02-06-2018, 11:09 PM
Silver Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Default New Rules er Guidelines

I applaud those who participated in coming up with these guidelines. Quite an undertaking! You can't please everyone. One thing that was interesting to me was the engine displacement. A 302 is allowed in personalized but if you freshened it up with a .030 overbore you just got bumped to modified. Just an observation.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:48 AM
Administrator
Member of C.A.T.

Thank you for your comment about the guidelines. The intention was to differentiate engines that have strokes longer than 302. "Cleanup" overbores for rebuilds shouldn't be penalized in either stock or personalized. We may clarify this in future guidelines.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:01 AM
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

So I assume that if someone wins a trophy they may have to tear down the engine? Just joking.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:17 AM
Administrator
Member of C.A.T.

Default Class Guidelines Revised

The Guidelines have been revised to clarify that strokes larger than the 302's stock stroke of 3.000 inches should fit better in modified.

The wording about displacements larger than 302 has been eliminated.

Thanks to Jim for bringing this to our attention.

Buck
admin
Old 02-09-2018, 10:29 AM
Silver Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Buck,
Why don't we have a new concourse-only trophy for the best really stock, no options, from the factory car. Perhaps a perpetual trophy with a replica to the winner. Like Lord Rootes, cannot win more than once and not awarded if not deserved, to encourage really stock cars.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:52 AM
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Default Possible Option

Bill

We in TEAE are working on a PRESERVATION CLASS (exact name TBD). This class will award originality and cars that are not restored. Exact details still being worked, although the criteria used by the Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA) gives a good starting point.

1965 Tiger MkI
1967 Corvette Convertible
Old 02-09-2018, 12:01 PM
Administrator
Member of C.A.T.

Quote:
...why don't we have a new concourse-only trophy for the best really stock, no options
Bill,

I certainly don't know. And I don't know why you're asking me since I certainly don't speak for CAT or the other clubs involved in TUs.

Since you asked, would you like me to guess?

1) Perhaps because there has been relatively little interest in the stock Class? It's always the smallest. I've seen 6 or less cars entered in Stock while the other two classes approach 20 or more.
2) Perhaps because the best stock class car is already honored with the "Howie", one of the most prestigious awards. It usually is won by a base model car without any options. Options do not in themselves affect the judging. So it's possible that a nicer Tiger "contaminated" with an option or options could beat an inferior base model for the "Howie". (In my recollection, that hasn't happened very often recently.)
3) Perhaps because Lord Rootes clearly intended for owners of his Tigers to have the choice of a series of options that he negotiated and contracted, it seems silly a half century later to redefine his vision for his car.
4) All of the above?
5) None of the above?

As Dan pointed out early in this tread, marketplace pricing is now driving up interest in base model cars. Maybe we'll one day see enough of them show up as to warrant more special recognition than the "Howie". Stay tuned!

Buck
at the beach