California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum

Go Back   California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum > Tiger Technical - Stock > Suspension
New Threads

Old 01-21-2018, 11:41 PM
Forum Member

Default Tiger lower Fulcrums

Hello
I am wondering if somebody in the club might be able to help me with a query
I am looking to increase the caster on my Tiger & noticed in the manual that it was vitally important that the lower Fulcrum pins are fitted with the greater dimension to the rear.
I am thinking that if I reversed them, placing the greater dimension to the front, it would place the lower control arm further forward giving more positive caster.
Has anyone of you guys ever tried this & if so if there were there any negative effects in doing so

Les
Old 01-22-2018, 07:31 AM
Administrator
Member of C.A.T.

Reversing the fulcrum pins does increase caster as does increasing the size of the wedge between the front cross member and the frame.

The biggest disadvantage I've seen to reversing the pins is that since the clearance between the front of the tires and the rear of the front valence is already marginal, you may encounter contact there, especially if you have larger tires. I know 205-60-13s can hit.

bt
Old 01-22-2018, 07:38 AM
Forum Member

Thank you bt
I couldn't think of any reasons why I couldn't, I'll put that extra caster to good use hopefully

Les
Old 01-22-2018, 11:13 AM
Unobtanium Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Cool Another Wrinkle

Hi: BT is right, tyre nibble on the lower valence is marginal at best. One of the better approaches is to add/subtract an equal amount of shims from the upper A-arm fulcrum in order to tilt the Upper ball joint rearward or forward. Of course this assumes that the Tiger cross member has not sagged so badly that you no longer have alignment shims . . . . . . .

Last edited by 0neoffive; 01-24-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:57 AM
Platinum Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0neoffive View Post
Hi: BT is right, tyre nibble on the lower valence is marginal at best. One of the better approaches is to add/subtract an equal amount of shims from the upper A-arm fulcrum in order to tilt the Upper ball joint rearward. Of course this assumes that the Tiger cross member has not sagged so badly that you no longer have alignment shims . . . . . . .
Randy, you got me curious about those shims, so I went out to take a look at the shims in the upper A-arm area. I've had the car 30 years and never had the front end apart. Looks pretty original, except for the KYB gas shocks that the PO installed that are still doing the job. All I've done is grease and inspect (a lot) since I've had the car. Never had to have the alignment adjusted in 30 years. Perfect tire wear. No, I don't autocross. It appears I have a couple of the long shims on the left side, but just a couple of the short shims on the aft side of the upper A-arm on the right side. Glad to see they are still there! Kirk
Old 02-13-2018, 05:30 PM
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

I gave up trying to buy high tensile pins and ended up making my own. I should have thought it through a bit more and how one could modify the offset as desired.

CNC machines have an economy of scale so I made a few stock ones........
Old 02-21-2018, 10:52 PM
Platinum Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

If you change the position of the lower arm in relation to the steering have you recalculated the relationship of the steering arms to the hub ?

If not the situation of BUMP Steer may occur. Research it, it means going over a bump in the road and finishing in the adjacent lane. Not good