Vintage Rootes Auto show pics

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Here's some pics from a Rootes auto show at the Bayshore Inn, Vancouver, B.C. mid-60's ...

Jim
B382000446

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Very Nice Photos

These are very nice photos. I was trying to see if the red Tiger with the LATs was a Mk 1 or Mk 1A, but could not tell.

Thanks for sharing with us!

David

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Jim,

Thanks from me too.. amazing photos and so rare to have them in colour. It certainly clearly confirms the cars had body colour in the wheel wells when new.

Interesting to note the shot with the race car.. in the background they list Sunbeam JEEP and then Tiger.

J D Johnson

Silver forum user
michael-king;16237...snip...It certainly clearly confirms the cars had body colour in the wheel wells when new...snip....[/QUOTE said:
Or rather, that's the way it appears dealer prep was handled in Canada.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Or rather, that's the way it appears dealer prep was handled in Canada.

It's not just Canada... all the alpines and tigers left the factory with body colour in the wheel arches.. some people are not certain when they see the period photos (especially of darker coloured cars) but shots like this do give good confirmation.... it's not like dealers were out there painting the wheel inner wheel arches when cars arrived :).

If you are a doubter... just look at any of the period road test photos 9espeiclly ones showing light coloured cars) in the UK, USA, Canada or down under.. always body colour.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
These are very nice photos. I was trying to see if the red Tiger with the LATs was a Mk 1 or Mk 1A, but could not tell.

Thanks for sharing with us!

David

I zoomed in on the original pic and it's very faint but it looks like a round cornered hood to me so a MK1 ...

These were posted on the web by a friend who is the son of the fellow in the first pic... I will see if I can get him to send me the original scans which may be a higher resolution...

Michael.. I think the race car shot is from a different show and yes... very unusual signs with the 'JEEP' displayed...

Jim
B382000446

pmacd

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
The green Tiger was raced by Murray Cliff who sold Tiger and other parts as MRC Motors.

Later painted red and ran 4 spoke American Racing Libras; taken apart to "make it go faster" and met the fate of many other cars - never put back together again.

Peter

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I remember going to Murry's place back in the mid '70's to buy a Lakewood bell and other parts to do my 260-302 6 bolt swap... His basement was crammed full of cast Tiger valve covers and oil pans... I think he was asking $60/pair for the valve covers :cool:
As I recall, he bought those molds from Carroll Shelby ent. ? and then sold them to Rick at S.S. and now they are being cast at Buddy Bar where the original ones were done... can't get more original 'new' parts than that! ;)

Jim
B382000446