Rear end blues

JB66CAT

Gold forum user
I ordered a new Auburn 19 spline LSD carrier from West Coast in Sacramento. Problem: Axles won't fit in the carriers side gear splines. It appears that the Auburn splines are just a few thousands too small inside diameter. :mad:
Anybody else encounter this? Could use some help.
Going to call Auburn tomorrow. West Coast had no solution.
Thanks to the group!

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I ordered a new Auburn 19 spline LSD carrier from West Coast in Sacramento. Problem: Axles won't fit in the carriers side gear splines. It appears that the Auburn splines are just a few thousands too small inside diameter. :mad:
Anybody else encounter this? Could use some help.
Going to call Auburn tomorrow. West Coast had no solution.
Thanks to the group!

Hi: A couple of us here would like to know what Auburn has for a solution ??

JB66CAT

Gold forum user
Auburn

Seems there is a problem in the manufacturing process. Working with Auburn Gear to get it corrected. Might be the heat treating process or when it is pressed in. Representative checked, found that there was a problem so, hopefully I will be able to exchange for one that fits!
Cheers,

JB66CAT

Gold forum user
CIP

Change In Plans. I've decided to change directions on the rear end LSD. Auburn gear was extremely helpful but, it is taking too long. So, I'm now changing the axles to 30 spline and going with an Eaton Truetrac. I have one in my other 'hot rod' and really like it. Now, Auburn wants to buy my original axles for comparison. Still mulling that over. Should I hang on to them?

The Eaton unit also presents an issue. A thrust block needs to be made!

It's only money..... Right? lol

steven

Gold forum user
When we fitted the LSD unit to the dana, it needed a large sledge hammer with a large man to drive the axles the last 5mm with another man rotating the diff.

JB66CAT

Gold forum user
When we fitted the LSD unit to the dana, it needed a large sledge hammer with a large man to drive the axles the last 5mm with another man rotating the diff.

Which carrier were you using? Shouldn't be that tight.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
JB66CAT;35031 Auburn gear was extremely helpful Now said:
I would suggest "lending" Auburn an original axle with a healthy security deposit. This would get both parties what is needed. amen:rolleyes:

JB66CAT

Gold forum user
All is well

A C.A.T. Member needed the axles for his project. So now the member in need has my axles and Auburn Gear has his old (buggered spindle threads) axles and everyone is happy (I hope).
Aaron at Auburn says they have the issue under control. So, hopefully, they will have a product that works for 19 spline. At least it is another choice out there.
Even though I went in a different direction, I have to say that they were really helpful.
Rear end is back in the car now and the car is back on the ground with 30 spline axles and an Eaton Detroit Truetrac and all new bearings and seals. What a chore.

Attachments

• rear end.jpg
    rear end.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 232
  • rear end installed.jpg
    rear end installed.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 246