15" wheels

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
15" wheels, or not?

I know what they say about comparing "opinions" to, but I guess that is what I am asking now.

I have my original set of LAT-70's on my car of 42 years, but as it is hard to find decent 13" tires anymore, I was thinking of going to 15" wheels.

One reason is that I have heard that our original LAT-70's were sand-cast, not very strong, & by my own knowledge, not very true or round for that matter. I know a new set of 15" wheels will be a half a century better technology & there are 10 different quality brands of tires to choose from to fit our cars.

I know there are 13" tires out there. Sizes designed for a mini-suv that have a compound that is as hard as concrete, or "Race / Autocross" tires that are so gummy that they pick up every stone on the street, & not really designed for the street, but no good quality 13" tires in between these two extremes. So my I am on the fence what to do.

I don't autocross or race the car, just like to drive it as much as possible, like that 4K roundtrip to SUNI last year.

Thanks...

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
LAT 70 in 15" ?

There was a conversation some time ago that Rick at SS had a sample 15" made duplicating the old LAT pattern. Have not heard if they decided to try full production. I would grab a set if it materializes . . . . .

mwood

Gold forum user
As I understand, the first run of 15" LAT wheels was completed, but there's an issue with the bore for the shank type lug nuts being 5-10 thousandths oversize. I won't speak for Rick or VTO regarding how that might be addressed or when they might end up being available for purchase.

Warren

Gold forum user
13s

My first Tiger had 1992 but low mileage tires with 13" Pannasports. They were like you described not much of a tire but the sidewall flex made for a softer ride. Then I got a second had set of 14"s from Dale with Toyos but an mid grade tire. The diddence was amazing. Next car came with 15" s and 15 year old mid grade Pirelli p700s again big improvement but age hardened the tires. After going to Dunlop's Zstar 2 the car drives ad good as a Tiger can , is predictable and a world of a different ride on both autocross and beating about town. I would like vintage set for around town but really enjoy a good set of tires.

mwood

Gold forum user
ZII Star Spec is a great tire...good, progressive grip and wear very well. When they wear out, you'll have the newer Bridgestone RE71R and BFG Rival S to consider, which take it to another level, in terms of grip.

That's the beauty of 15" wheels :)

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for all the replies. I have spoken to VTO wheels several times over the last year awaiting the arrival of the 15" LAT-70s. I am on Rick's waiting list to be notified when they are ready to be sold. Like someone said, they have the rims in stock at VTO, now just waiting to get a lug-nut issue resolved.

I was just wondering what the already stiff ride would be like on 50 or 55 series tires on a 15" rim, compared to the 60 series tires on a 13" rim I have now would be like around town. Probably not too much difference I suppose, but after 42 years with those 13's, it is hard to make the switch to 15's just so I can get fresh decent quality street tires. I was sort of hoping that SOMEBODY, finally had a decent 13" tire that was not designed "for autocross only", available. Then again, my original LAT-70's are not exactly the truest or most round rims & I know a new set of rims would be great.

I guess the answer is hang the original Lat-70's on the wall, & buy a set of Rick's 15" wheels for the car. Thanks...

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
What is wrong with the Pirelli, Continental or Dunlop SP SPORT LM704 or equvilant Goodyear road tyres? They are sports tyres for risd, not semi comp and come in 13".

Also remember sidewall is a ratio... A % of the tread width... A 195/60 will have approximately the same height sidewall as a 175/70 or 75

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
What is wrong with the Pirelli, Continental or Dunlop SP SPORT LM704 or equvilant Goodyear road tyres? They are sports tyres for risd, not semi comp and come in 13".

Also remember sidewall is a ratio... A % of the tread width... A 195/60 will have approximately the same height sidewall as a 175/70 or 75

Yes, I realize that other sizes are close, but my target size is 205/60. Here in the U.S., the biggest tire dealer would be TireRAck & here is what they have in that size.

http://tires.tirerack.com/tires/205 60 13

Race or Autocross "only" tires...

mwood

Gold forum user
Yes, I realize that other sizes are close, but my target size is 205/60. Here in the U.S., the biggest tire dealer would be TireRAck & here is what they have in that size.

http://tires.tirerack.com/tires/205 60 13

Race or Autocross "only" tires...

Why do you run a 205/60-13? If it is primarily because of the performance benefit of more section width/shorter sidewall, the Toyo RA-1 is a fantastic tire. Yes, it is technically an r-comp, but it is an old school design with real siping, not a two groove slick. It is good in the wet and wears better than might be expected. My friends at Tire Rack have adopted a policy of disclaiming all r-comps as "not intended for highway use", but I've run many street miles on RA-1's on various cars, as have other Tiger owners.

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Why do you run a 205/60-13? If it is primarily because of the performance benefit of more section width/shorter sidewall, the Toyo RA-1 is a fantastic tire. Yes, it is technically an r-comp, but it is an old school design with real siping, not a two groove slick. It is good in the wet and wears better than might be expected. My friends at Tire Rack have adopted a policy of disclaiming all r-comps as "not intended for highway use", but I've run many street miles on RA-1's on various cars, as have other Tiger owners.

Thank you for the info. To tell you the truth with as few Tigers that I actually see in Florida, I did see those tires on 13" LAT wheels before & wondered. I have been skeptical because of what TireRack says, but I have another problem in that my original Lat-70s are not as round as they should be & I know that I will have to have the new tires trued to get them round if I stay with my original rims. The RA-1 only starts with 8/32" tread depth, I wonder what it will be after truing. I cringe every time a tire shop removes & replaces the tires on those rims & I try to keep the intervals as long as possible. In the last 20 months, I have put over 8K miles on my car. Still, I know that Rick's 15" repros will be round & more sizes available, but don't know what they will look like on the car, after 40+ years looking at those original 13's. That's why I am on the fence. The tires on the car are 5 years old, so I am running out of time to make a decision.

Warren

Gold forum user
Other Thread

When we were at Irwindale speedway the little toy cars had Federal 205/60/13's and the whole class had the same tire. They gotta come from somewhere, and I have seen Federal Tires at Pep Boys and maybe Walmart. Did you'll see the UK version of Tireseasy.com

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/

I sent em an email and asked if they would ship and they said sure but since I lost a deal on period 13''s I'm not in the market just yet:(

steven

Gold forum user
I am about to run 15x6 wheels on my Tiger project. What is the closest sidewall profile to match the old 13" wheel with bias ply?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I am about to run 15x6 wheels on my Tiger project. What is the closest sidewall profile to match the old 13" wheel with bias ply?

That depends what tread width you plan on running, sidewall is percentage of width....so profile will change depending on tread width... Are you 15x6 all around? Or x7 on rear? Is the car lowered and what offset are the wheels... You can get into trouble on the front valence with wider tyres.

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I just now spoke to Rick & he has received the new 15" LAT wheel! After 40+ years of looking at my 13" originals, I still am on the fence about going for the 15".

I'd sure like to see a picture of the Rick's new wheels on a car, so whoever out there that is going for a set, please post a picture!

Thanks...

Warren

Gold forum user
What he said :)

Sunbeam Specialties has a reproduction of the LAT wheel style in a 15"

I am hoping Rick or others will send us some pictures to add to his spot in the Pro Vendor CATegory ...