Removing upper Dash Pad - Can of worms

ahetzel

Gold forum user
I removed my windshield frame to replace the rubber around the glass and the rubber underneath the frame and noticed that my upper dash pad doesn't look great and wanted to replace or recover it as long as the windshield is off. Can I take it off without removing the dash and is a recover or complete replacement in order. It seems like when you take one thing off, you often open a new can of worms.

Any help getting the dash off is appreciated. Maybe its easy?

Attachments

• Dash Pad.jpg
    Dash Pad.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 127

Jon B

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Hi Arnie,

I just put on my new dash pad yesterday. You do have to remove the dash to get the entire pad off, and also remove a cardboard strip along with two vinyl-wrapped pieces that are riveted on above the dash panel and cover the bottom of the pad where it wraps around. Supposedly the dash can be lowered down to provide enough access, but I wouldn't want to try it that way. My dash was already mostly removed when I started the job so I can't advise on the complete procedure but I believe it's pretty straightforward, a few nuts holding on the lower roll and some screws holding on the wood, plus a lot of unplugging and labeling of wires. If you buy a new pad from Sunbeam Specialties it will come with really good instructions. You will probably need to trim or shave the foam under the pad where the windshield sits on it or the seal won't fit flush against the body. I used a utility knife. Good luck!

-Jon

ahetzel

Gold forum user
Jon, Thanks. I was trying to avoid it as I had my dash out two years ago and replaced the wood. Does the piece from Rick come with the black tolex installed on the foam?

Jon B

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Hi Arnie,

Yes, the pad Rick sells is one piece with the foam attached. Some of the vinyl and foam has to be trimmed at the sides where the furflex piping attaches.

-Jon

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Dash pad

Hi Arnie, years ago my padded dash was cracked with the vinyl surface being punished from the sun. At the time (1986) I was unaware there were replacements. I turned to an upholsterer in my area who said he could recover it. He would fill the cracks (out of the car) and re-skin it with a black vinyl that matched the existing grain with about 1/8" foam sandwiched in between (on the car) In order to do this I needed to take it off the car with the aid of a sharpened 1 1/2" putty knife by working it gently from where the windshield was bolted. It came off with out too much fuss. I took it to him, and he did an amazing job which still looks awesome to this day. It is minutely a little bigger but I have had nobody notice, it looks that good. Just another avenue to pursue. You still have to pull the wood dash out to get at what you need to.
Brian

ahetzel

Gold forum user
I understand that pulling the dash completely is ideal. Has anyone removed the lower roll and tipped the dash out without disconnecting everything?

ahetzel

Gold forum user
Once again, is there anyone that has replaced their top dash pad without completely removing the wood dash?