California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum

Go Back   California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum > Tiger Technical - Stock > Brakes, Wheels and Tires
New Threads

Old 07-13-2016, 04:42 PM
CAT Vendor Manager
Member of C.A.T.

Default Federal 13s

http://www.shopengineparts.com/produ...=12826&cid=192
Old 09-03-2016, 09:29 AM
CAT Vendor Manager
Member of C.A.T.

Default Blockley Tyres

http://www.blockleytyre.com/page2.htm#prices

Saw a set of 14" in similar pattern and sidewall nice smooth uncluttered side wall.

A tire installer told me that the poor man's fix is to sand down the sidewalls, or I commented back maybe let my sister in law park the car several times
Old 05-04-2017, 12:03 PM
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

When I started this thread over three years ago, I was worried about my Sumitomos being too old, now it's really time to "get off the pot"! I see here that tirerack is selling these...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

Anyone out there have these on their cars? What are they like? I realize they are not as sticky as the Toyo-Proxes, but are they OK for a street Tiger that never gets autocrossed? Are they OK in the rain too?

thanks...
Old 05-08-2017, 06:03 AM
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

TTGuy

Yes...I used these tires a few years back when I was running with wider Cosmic wheels. They looked and performed well. It also looks as if Tire Rack has a better price. They were much pricier a few years back. See photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0461.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	9954  

1965 Tiger MkI
1967 Corvette Convertible
Old 05-08-2017, 08:29 AM
CAT Vendor Manager
Member of C.A.T.

Default I recall

Comments I heard or read was "Noisy ..." Can't remember other's but the sidewalls are less busy with raised printing etc. then other Kuhmos and most other's.
That link will change and 60 bucks off the Coker price of 200 or so each is clearly an improvement at 143.00 bucks each.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:53 AM
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Default What Noise?

If these tires are "noisy," I never heard it over the beautiful sound of my Tiger's exhaust.

1965 Tiger MkI
1967 Corvette Convertible
Old 05-08-2017, 03:00 PM
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCat33 View Post
TTGuy

Yes...I used these tires a few years back when I was running with wider Cosmic wheels. They looked and performed well. It also looks as if Tire Rack has a better price. They were much pricier a few years back. See photo.
Thanks for the Picture, they look fine & glad to hear they were OK...
Old 05-11-2017, 11:48 AM
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

I contacted Coker tire directly even though TireRack & Summit sell the Vedrestein, figuring they might be the "freshest" from them. Summit was at $187 each, TireRack at $145 each, but Coker was at $160 each until I asked for a "Veteran's Discount", so they dropped the price to $142. With a 5-year warranty (@ $10 per tire), plus shipping, it came to right under $700. Not cheap, but a decent street tire & will give me some peace of mind.

After I put 500 miles on these, I will be taking them to a local shop that will "True" the tire & rim, then high speed balance them on the car. My old LAT's are about as round as an egg & when I had this done before on current tires, it made the car run as smooth as a modern car with round wheels....
Old 05-12-2017, 12:00 PM
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyTrainGuy View Post
I contacted Coker tire directly even though TireRack & Summit sell the Vedrestein, figuring they might be the "freshest" from them. Summit was at $187 each, TireRack at $145 each, but Coker was at $160 each until I asked for a "Veteran's Discount", so they dropped the price to $142. With a 5-year warranty (@ $10 per tire), plus shipping, it came to right under $700. Not cheap, but a decent street tire & will give me some peace of mind.

After I put 500 miles on these, I will be taking them to a local shop that will "True" the tire & rim, then high speed balance them on the car. My old LAT's are about as round as an egg & when I had this done before on current tires, it made the car run as smooth as a modern car with round wheels....
I got the date code off the tires, the Cokers were made the week before last, talk about "Fresh"! Recently I had ordered a set of tires for my wife's Miata from TireRack. After the shop had them mounted, I realized I should have checked the date code. I was really disappointed to find that they were two years old! Not cool....