California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum

Go Back   California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum > Sunbeam Tiger > Your Tigers Story
New Threads

Old 06-23-2017, 09:27 AM
Platinum Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Default Let's Try This Again

Steven,

I think you might have misread what I wrote. Here is what I said:
As long as you are not getting close to the edges of the doors, it does not matter for your restoration when you use the donor panels you mention. However, it is nice to have additional doors, hood, and trunk lid to choose from when restoring your car. These are bolt on parts and do not affect the originality of your car.

What I was saying is that it would be nice if the doors, trunk, and hood (all of which are bolt on parts) from the donor car matched his Tiger, so he had other parts he could consider in his restoration, in case the donor doors, trunk, or hood were in better condition than those on his car.

Thanks for giving me an opportunity to explain more fully.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:08 PM
Bronze Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Regarding Dale's springs. Since they have an extra leaf forward of the axle, traction bars are not necessary. I always run without the panhard bar. You definitely need to reinforce the leaf spring mounting points.

Just my $0.02
Bob
Old 07-10-2017, 06:01 PM
Bronze Forum Member

Default Thanks Bob

Yes, I spoke with Dale and he also said run without panhard and traction bars with his springs.

Thanks for the tip on the weak points as well.

I want to convert my open end to a posi. Looking for advice on gear change as well as gears for converting my close ratio to a wide ratio.

I have found a couple of threads on the wide ratio, hoping the gears recommended will pair well with the 2:88 I have now

Going to try and post pics as I go
Old 07-10-2017, 08:12 PM
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcollector View Post
Yes, I spoke with Dale and he also said run without panhard and traction bars with his springs.

I want to convert my open end to a posi. Looking for advice on gear change as well as gears for converting my close ratio to a wide ratio.

I have found a couple of threads on the wide ratio, hoping the gears recommended will pair well with the 2:88 I have now

Cue response from Gary in 3..2..1..
1965 Mk1. B9470719. TAC#1069
1966 Mk1. B9471488.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:47 AM
Unobtanium Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Quote:
With a stock motor dales springs may stop axle tramp... Warm the motor and no.... I'd say over 250hp and you'll get tramp..

As for panhard rod the springs dont impact it's operation. The rod is to stop sideways axle movement not up and down or forward rotational.

My .02 ( i have dales springs and can bounce the rear..but i have 300+)

Michael King
1963 Alpine SII 1996>
1964 Tiger MKI 2009
1965 Alpine SIVGT 1994>
1965 Tiger MKI 2009-2012
1966 Tiger MKIA 2006>
Old 07-12-2017, 04:19 PM
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Quote:

If Gary aka Maliburevue has time to speak with you, he can probably answer most of you questions regarding ratios, gears, drives flanges and such. He has rebuilt posi units from time to time also. I have the wide ratio, 2.95 first setup. it works well with the 2.88 and would work well with the 2.72 ratio as well for highway gearing.
Good luck! -Kevin
1965 Mk1. B9470719. TAC#1069
1966 Mk1. B9471488.