California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum

Go Back   California Association of Sunbeam Tiger Owners Forum > Tiger Technical - Personalized/Modified > Body
New Threads

Old 07-14-2017, 07:07 AM
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Windscreen molds are simple and I had a Speedster one made in Thailand fairly inexpensively. Thailand is the Detroit of Asia and windscreens are cheap and properly made.
Probably not practical for the Tiger, given freight and the need for an original to copy

It might not be too expensive to either buy this mould or make another

I am in for a glass one, or contributing to a mould if the price is right and makes economic sense
Old 07-18-2017, 09:52 AM
CAT Vendor Manager
Member of C.A.T.

Default Third time's the charm

Guys I called the owner and got the secretary again and left another message the place is called Cinema Auto Glass 818-780-6272 . I told the secretary what I was interested in and she said that he probably wouldn't sell the mold.

I have one set of windows and I'm going to use in my personalized car and just for those who are wondering this is a safety glass laminate class not like the side windows done in tempered or a AS2 I believe however you will find no AS1 or AS2 markings on these pieces.

I'm only chasing this guy because five of you have asked me I suppose it five of you were really interested I would need probably at least 5 more to get this guy interested. The best case scenario is to shoot for a delivery of these two the next Tigers United because frankly I can't get involved with crating and shipping these individually.
Sure I sell a little bit Parts here and there and their cleaners but that's a different cup of tea.

If you have not replied to this post already and you are truly interested reply to the post and let everybody else know, there's nothing worse than being left dangling.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:13 AM
Bronze Forum Member

Im in for a set, keep me posted.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:08 PM
Silver Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Default Hardtop glass

I was wondering if that the current owner of the mould for the rear hardtop window is not that motivated, then that's fine, let him continue to own the mould, while our club could produce their own mould (or joint ownership with other clubs) to manufacture glass or plexiglass for our hardtops. There could be a price for club members, affiliated clubs, and non members. The club would benefit by not being extorted by a third party, but completely in control of these pieces, and generate income to possibly develop more bits and pieces. I'm sure the club would welcome new cash flow, more parts to be offered, and an opportunity to enhance club membership.
Just my 2cents.
Brian
Old 07-18-2017, 02:48 PM
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Default Hard top glass

I came across a supplier who makes classic car glass. I inquired as to the possibility of getting some made for Sunbeam hard top.

I don't have the time to peruse this and I already have a set of glass so I don't need additional glass.

BELOW IS the response;

Flat side glass is already priced on website – would need patterns of actual glass size needed – but curved b/g ( since we don’t have the tool/mold for that ) looking at north of $3K.

www.VintageGlass.com & www.BallsPowerWindows.com

MY RESPONSE:
Thanks your quick response.

The Sunbeam Tiger and Alpine has a removable hard top with 2-small side flat windows and a rear that is slightly curved. Originally they were plastic or plexiglass. At one time a glass company in Burbank reproduced these in glass but has since closed down. Many current owners have shown interest in replacing their scratched windows with glass.

I am also coping a individual who is very involved with the Tiger/Sunbeam clubs and community.

Please reach out if you have any questions.

Doug Courtenay
Old 07-19-2017, 07:50 AM
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Rick sells plexiglass rear windows so he must have, or has acess to a mould
Old 07-19-2017, 09:20 AM
Gold Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

Default Maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
Rick sells plexiglass rear windows so he must have, or has acess to a mould
Sometimes Rick stocks up on something that has already been reproduced rather than re-invent the wheel. So, he may have them in stock for awhile, and then no more, depending on whether his source still has some. I know he as done this with some of the stuff CAT reproduces- he told me himself many years ago. Kirk.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:04 AM
Silver Forum Member
Member of C.A.T.

I need rear glass as well , I have in the past had a local shop make me glass for custom applications like chopped cars etc . it wasn't cheap but didnt break the bank either .

Anyhow I have two back windows as patterns I will bring to them and see what they can do , both my hardtops are late , is there any difference in the windows from early hardtops ?