90 Degree Oil Filter Block

Warren

Gold forum user
Got one

With a Ford part number on it but it's casting is a little more substantial looking. Like there are any old V8 Econoline's in junkyards any more:D

Here is the p/n

c-5TE-6884-A CAL 1

Last edited:

tigresunbeam

Forum Member
90 Degree oil filter

I have been running this set up on my 302 since 1998 , have done over 70,000 miles since with no problem , change oil and filter once a year . A year of running in Québec his only 6 month . My oil cooler and line was always leaking a bit ,so that why I have this set up , fit perfect betwen the engine and the cross member.

Last edited:

PITT40

Gold forum user
It would have to be one with a 460 in it. Once they went mod motor, it's a no go.

I just use a shorty Wix filter from a 60's Lotus or Renault. It fits inside the Tiger frame. I don't have the number because I'm not home now. I can give it to you, if you wish.

Warren

Gold forum user
Shorty

I also ran the shorty filters. Moved to big FL1A size as new car has the remote aftermarket one. I did look for a newer design media filter in the shorty style but figured why on the questionable motor I had in my previous MK1a. The new kitty gets a nice more modern media filter type.

I bought the 90 degree one on a lark but it's moving on and was in the pile to be taken to the swap meet but rolled or slid away and missed the event.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Do not run a shorty filter on a high performance engine. You need the 100%+ more filter area to keep that oil clean and reduce any resistance a much small filter could present.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Tigresunbeam--I see you have the super rare wooden cross member in your Tiger. :)
I had the adapter that came off the block in an earlier car but had troubles changing the filter, my new car has the oil filter in the wheel well near the head light, much easier and very little road rash when I changed it.

Erich

Gold forum user
Bruce,

That is the same place my filter is located. You are only second Tiger I have heard with that location. My car came from Livermore, maybe you had something to do with the filter location?

PITT40

Gold forum user
Paul, whether you source a Ford Van or the Ford Racing aftermarket 90 deg adapter, let us know if it fits please.

chirodoc

Gold forum user
remote oil filter

STOA offered it in the 70's through Frey Racing. Jim Frey is gone now but contact Tom Hall @ ModTiger engineering

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
That is the same place my filter is located. You are only second Tiger I have heard with that location.

Well add me to the count. After a few oil changes in the original location I moved mine to the wheel well.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Bruce,

That is the same place my filter is located. You are only second Tiger I have heard with that location. My car came from Livermore, maybe you had something to do with the filter location?

My car spent a good part of it's life in the bay area - someone there may have been doing that conversion.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Well add me to the count. After a few oil changes in the original location I moved mine to the wheel well.

Mine is also in the wheel well...along with an oil cooler behind the valance c/w thermostat . All done at the 'Mustang Ranch' by a P.O. back in '82 :cool:
I think the car 'grew up' in the Santa Clara area...

PITT40

Gold forum user
Let's see pics of it in the wheel well? Done using a custom remote filter setup, I presume?

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have one of these 90 degree adaptors but don't have the special dual threaded nut that screws into the block as shown in the attached photo. Anyone know where I can find one? Thanks, Eric

Warren

Gold forum user
$202 on eBay

Why is it some guys have all the eBay luck. The big bucks were spent on a temp sender block and I sell one in follow on mode and get 1/3 of what temp block sold for. eBay is a crap shoot.

I have a full size mounted up in the edge of the front valence. It is still a little messy at changing times but the lines have a slight downward incline so all oil can be drained at changing time with gravity help.

I am with Duke on a bigger motor needing capacity of oil and extra area etc. amen brother. When I ran a shorty it was on a little 260 and that car had big time oil pressure.

A BMW group I was a member of had a deconstruction and comparison of filter area and Wix was the best, Fram the worst. This was several years ago, but I did learn that Wix makes all the NAPA filters and just add one digit on the end for the NAPA #

With the filters mounted in the vertical position the small flap is supposed to prevent oil from flowing back down into lines and oil pan.
Some dealerships claim that aftermarket filters lack these check valve like flaps but if your filter is not vertical as old stock style mount the discussion is moot. I did LOL when a service manager suggested my non Honda filter may void new car warranty. I told him I will try not to park the car upside down.

Sorry for the topic drift