Instrument needle paint

eagleman1022

Silver forum user
CAT Member
The Tiger gauges (instruments) are being cleaned up while doing additions and deletions to the wiring harnesses. The gauge needles look a bit dull and I was wondering if there are "preferred" paints to redo the needles. I think the needles should be red, but mine look a bit orange. Also, don't know if the paint should flat, gloss, luminescent, etc. I am assuming the model airplane would be ideal, but what color and sheen.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Nail It !

The Tiger gauges (instruments) are being cleaned up while doing additions and deletions to the wiring harnesses. The gauge needles look a bit dull and I was wondering if there are "preferred" paints to redo the needles. I think the needles should be red, but mine look a bit orange. Also, don't know if the paint should flat, gloss, luminescent, etc. I am assuming the model airplane would be ideal, but what color and sheen.

The gals at the fingernail polish counter get a kick out of what I do with their products. Their younger eyes help with a proper color match.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Also to add the usual disclaimer to this question...

Do not put the paint on thick, adding a bit of thinners to it can be a good idea. The needles are very light and its been noted many times that if you put the paint on thick it will cause misreading (more than the usual) on the gauges.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
One Other Thing

When you paint your needle, be sure to let it dry completely while the needle is NOT resting against any stop pin on the gauge. I have heard of a situation where the paint was not completely dry and it touched the stop pin. When the paint dried, it was stuck to the pin and stuck in that position until the owner opened up the gauge and manually pulled it away.

Good luck!

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Maybe if I paint the temp needle thick the car will run cooler..... :)
On my Mustang I used Chevy orange and I liked how bright it was, may look good on a Tiger.

Tigerbill

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Speaking of paint ...has anyone attempted gauge face restoration. Wondering about the process and lettering?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Speaking of paint ...has anyone attempted gauge face restoration. Wondering about the process and lettering?

Lots of companies offer the service.. Some do it as a vinyl sticker, some as a letraset and some with original silk-screening. For sunbeam specific paul b dies custom tiger autoneter gauges that look stock and companies like moma and nosonger and British gauges can reface them.

eagleman1022

Silver forum user
CAT Member