Battery tray wood pieces.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Does anyone have the dimensions of the wood piece or pieces that are under the battery tray?

Moondoggie

Gold forum user

The piece is actually plywood and the top ply is a vertical grain wood that looks like Hemlock or spruce. 9/32 is a weird size here in the states so I took
a European plywood that I found that matched the original and planed it down to dimension. It's all in the details !!!!!

Moondoggie

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
The piece is actually plywood and the top ply is a vertical grain wood that looks like Hemlock or spruce. 9/32 is a weird size here in the states so I took
a European plywood that I found that matched the original and planed it down to dimension. It's all in the details !!!!!

Moondoggie

Baltic birch ? ... 7 ply or 9 ? Did you make the side piece out of the same material... or thicker ? I forgot to make new ones after the repaint :eek:

Who said 'Modified guys' don't care about the details...;)

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Baltic birch ? ... 7 ply or 9 ? Did you make the side piece out of the same material... or thicker ? I forgot to make new ones after the repaint :eek:

Who said 'Modified guys' don't care about the details...;)

You are correct Jim... I used 18 mm Russian Baltic Birch plywood and ran that thru my planer. I think it is the same material that was used on the Trunks parcel shelf. The side piece is much different dimensionally and is made out of
English Walnut. I had original parts as a pattern.

Moondoggie

PITT40

Gold forum user
Anyone have a reference pic? My small side piece on the frame rail was cracked at the screw hole, so I replicated it. But there was no other wood with my battery. I'd appreciate more info.

KenF

Gold forum user
Sorry To Resurrect

Sorry to resurrect this 4+ year old thread, but I was just going to ask about this piece of wood under the battery tray, if it was factory or not. Searched and found this thread. Anyway, thought I'd add a pic for posterity. Mine measures 13 1/2" x 2 7/8" x 3/8" and appears to be a dark 5 ply plywood held down by 2 flathead screws.

IMG_4625.JPG

Warren

Gold forum user
Looks too new

Plus the side piece looks like Mahogany. I have de laminated bits left but Mahogany ply was cheaper as it's not as hardwood Walnut.
Purrfect of you to bring up old thread, bravo..

KenF

Gold forum user
Plus the side piece looks like Mahogany. I have de laminated bits left but Mahogany ply was cheaper as it's not as hardwood Walnut.

So, are you saying there was also a side piece that the battery hold down could pull sideways against? If so, makes sense, I was putting cutoff paint sticks there. :O

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
So, are you saying there was also a side piece that the battery hold down could pull sideways against? If so, makes sense, I was putting cutoff paint sticks there. :O

Yup there was a side spacer against the rail

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Them Wood Things

The pic of the bottom ply looks non-factory fer sure. There should be evidence of two #4 screws where the side rail was mounted. It was about 9/16" square and a foot-ish long. I use cedar for my replacements.

steven

Gold forum user
My Mk1 had a plastic tray under the battery and a timber piece screwed to the frame rail to hold the battery away from the rail. I have reused the timber piece and the plastic tray.

KenF

Gold forum user
There should be evidence of two #4 screws where the side rail was mounted. It was about 9/16" square and a foot-ish long.

Yes, 2 holes there, one can be seen above the plug in my previous pic. Had a piece of mahogany laying around, 17/32" thick. Squared it up and cut to 11". Obviously this area of the trunk is going to need some work in the future. Thanks for the info.

IMG_4628.JPG

KenF

Gold forum user
I cut down the whole board of mahogany into 6 other pieces while I had my table saw setup. If anyone wants one for a couple bucks to cover US postage, PM me.

IMG_4629.JPG