Toploader rebuild

Billm

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I am converting my narrow ratio trans to a wide ratio. I am having a problem installing the 1st and 2nd gear shifter rail. I installed the bottom spring and the round head detent and then the reverse shifter rail. I then placed the hatchet head detent in place. I then installed the third and fourth gear shifter rail with the lock out pin packed in grease to hold it in place. I then installed the second hatchet head detent. I have tried tapping the 1st and 2nd gear shifter rail in but it will not allow the rail past it. Am I missing something? I am using the David Kee parts blow up for the detent placement. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Bill

Billm

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Well I took a break and pulled out the Ford Mustang Shop book and reread the trans assembly process. All I had to do was put the 3rd 4th synchronizer assembly in to neutral. The pin Dropped in and the rail slide right in. Easy! Now if I can get rid of this headache.

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Toploader rebuilt process sounds dead easy but the shifter rails specifically the small pins represent some challenges. For confirmation it's better to check that no 2 gears can be engaged at the same time. If so everything will be OK...

Billm

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Transmission rebuild

Thanks for the tip. I have Dan Williams instruction, the Sunbeam Tiger Manual, a Haynes Manual and the Ford Mustang Shop manual. Each description is a little different for the reassembly. I didn't have a magnet to pull the detents out when disassembling the trans. They fell into the bottom of the case as it was disassembled. Internet searches helped with photos of the two different types of detents. David Kees exploded view of the toploader had the different positions of the round and the hatchet head detents. Today I am working on the counter shaft placement. I,am,going to make some hooks put of some metal pencil rod to maneuver the shaft in place and then the hard parts are done. That trans is a great work out moving that heavy boat anchor around! Bill

Maliburevue

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Counter Gear Installation

For the counter gear installation, I install all the needle bearings inside the counter gear and pack them with grease to keep them from coming out. I then locate the brass end spacers in the case and drop in the loaded counter gear. After I install all the gears and mainshaft, I just turn the tranny upside down, the counter gear drops into place and I slide in the counter shaft. Some people cut a dowel to fit inside the counter gear to keep the needle bearings in place, the dowel being the same length as the counter gear. Sliding in the counter shaft simultaneously pushes the dowel out.

Gary

steven

Gold forum user
For the counter gear installation, I install all the needle bearings inside the counter gear and pack them with grease to keep them from coming out. I then locate the brass end spacers in the case and drop in the loaded counter gear. After I install all the gears and mainshaft, I just turn the tranny upside down, the counter gear drops into place and I slide in the counter shaft. Some people cut a dowel to fit inside the counter gear to keep the needle bearings in place, the dowel being the same length as the counter gear. Sliding in the counter shaft simultaneously pushes the dowel out.

Gary

Exactly what my mechanic son did in my rebuild. He said we must have dowel do make the job reasonable. After saying this he took three atemps before it was perfect.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Plastic Dowel

Exactly what my mechanic son did in my rebuild. He said we must have dowel do make the job reasonable. After saying this he took three atemps before it was perfect.

A piece of 1/2" PVC electrical conduit cut 8-5/8" long works perfectly.

Billm

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Trans rebuild

I ended up turning the trans upside down and the countershaft fell into place. Slide the thrust washer into position and pushed the counter gear shaft in. The hook was a waste of time. I will finish it up today and paint and bolt it to my 289 five bolt I found last fall. The leaky 260 goes on the engine stand. Oh yea the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup!

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Oneoffive's suggestion is good. You may laugh but I actually used a 1/2" steel water tube cut to length. It worked perfectly to hold the needles in the proper position in the layshaft...

P. Scofield

Black arm band member RIP
The dowel is not really nessessary as the needle bearings fit so tight and a little grease works wonders. Your counter shaft brass or plastic washers have more chance of moving but with a little grease, those also are held in place even with the shaft at the bottom of the case.